Talk

Advanced search

How many feeds a day should my eight month have?

(9 Posts)
bizziebee Thu 30-Aug-07 20:45:11

My eight month old dd has taken to solid foods like a trooper. I breastfed her till six months then gradually introduced solids and she is now well established on three meals a day with snacks. I have been bfing her three times a day; first thing, at 2 pm, and then before bed at seven. However this week she really hasnt seemed interested in the 2pm feed. Is is okay to drop this feed? Will she be getting enough good stuff elsewhere do you think? Thought she would need more than two feeds a day. Also will my boobs dry up ? (can;t be arsed with bottles).

What do you reckon?

yama Thu 30-Aug-07 20:48:16

Your boobs shouldn't dry up. They should just adapt to the new routine.

As for the good stuff elsewhere - I take it she like fromage frais (spelling probably dodgy) and cheese?

bizziebee Thu 30-Aug-07 20:50:09

yep - she has a load of yoghurt and fruit in the afternoon. She likes pretty much anything - inc. cheese.

yama Thu 30-Aug-07 20:55:39

Lucky you bizziebee .

bizziebee Thu 30-Aug-07 21:11:31

i am quite surprised by how much she eats - not sure I am ready to be redundant yet!

yama Thu 30-Aug-07 21:57:01

I know what you mean. I stopped bf when dd was 8 and a half months.

Sorry for late reply (we are moving house tomorrow and dp is making me work).

bizziebee Fri 31-Aug-07 09:43:42

Did you give formula at eight and half months then - or just solids? (Hope the move is going well!)

Dawnybabe Fri 31-Aug-07 09:55:32

My 8 mo dd has a couple of ounces of porridge and a couple of ounces of ff milk for breakfast, the same quantity of veggie and then yoghurt for lunch with a drink of water, then fruit and a drink of milk for dinner and then about four or five ounces of milk before she goes to bed. She seems quite satisfied with this and is still well covered!

squeakybuggywheels Fri 31-Aug-07 16:58:15

bizziebee, don't know about "should have" but my 8mo dd has just cut down to 3 milk feeds recently - on waking (a big feed, both sides and then a top up after 30min or so), 2pm-ish, and before bed (c.7.30pm). We used to do a noon and 4pm milk which merged into one feed at 2pm (as my bottles of precious EBM were coming back from nursery barely touched), and recently she has slept through her night feed (3-4am) (hurrah - though she was up last night so might be too early to rejoice). So we went down from 5 to 3 feeds in a matter of two weeks or so. Maybe a coincidence but appetite for solid food went up significantly over same period.

She does not have much dairy as she gets a slight allergic reaction to cow's milk (bits of cheese etc seem fine) so the 3 feeds are all she gets. I am hoping that's enough, on nursery days (2x a week) I send another 3-4oz on top of her 2pm feed (6oz) but it generally comes back untouched - assume she'd take it if she needed it.

With extra dairy from solid food I imagine your dd is happy on 2 feeds a day - she'd take the 2pm or wake up in the night if she needed more I suspect.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: