Talk

Advanced search

Finger foods - worried about choking

(5 Posts)
vadam Sun 19-Jan-20 17:03:26

DS nearly 9 months has been on mostly purées since we began weaning. I moved him onto the textured purées at 7 months but I want to start giving him finger foods.

He has a bit of toast some mornings which he's fine with. I've just given him some pasta twirls. He could pick them up fine but he kind of gagged and coughed and it frightened me so much that I'm reluctant to give him anymore sad

Should I continue with this or not?

OP’s posts: |
vadam Sun 19-Jan-20 17:15:57

Anyone?

OP’s posts: |
UsefulZombie Sun 19-Jan-20 17:19:31

Gagging is totally normal, he's just figuring out where his gag reflex is. Research the difference between gagging and choking so you know if you need to intervene. I found doing a first aid course really reassuring too.

Sparrowlegs248 Sun 19-Jan-20 17:22:22

Yes, continue. You'll have to do it at sone point. Gagging is normal, and very different to choking.

Try French toast, cooked carrot batons, parsnip, brocolli and cauliflower florets, make an omelette in a small dish in the microwave, and cut into fingers, cheese, strips of chicken breast, chips!

mommybear1 Sun 19-Jan-20 17:50:00

Agree with @UsefulZombie it's helpful to do a first aid course if you are nervous I did - pfb was baby led from 6months so starting him on finger foods was always going to be a worry but as others have said gag reflex is normal - one tip I would give is even when you cut things up eg grapes keep them out of reach even now my DS will try to shovel in more than the one slice I give him grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in