Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else have a baby who wants to be permanently attached?

(8 Posts)
larahusky Tue 28-Aug-07 20:11:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chankins Tue 28-Aug-07 20:35:44

Think you've done great breasfeeding for so long - I'm feeding my third baby and am trying to make it to the recommended 6 months - i only managed 10 weeks with first DS and 3 months with second. My little boy is nearly 4 months and have jus started giving him formula as he is so hungry and feels like he's been permanently attached since birth! 2 formula feeds have got him back sleepin thru night so he obviously needed it. But really want 2 breastfeed as long as poss - anyway sorry i digress, have u considered a dummy to give her the comfort of sucking? Maybe with teethin gel on for the pain? None of my kids have had dummies and I'm not mad about them, but i am considering if for new baby as he's very sucky, suks his thumb constantly and also teething so think he uses nipple for comfort not for food. I know what you mean about cherishing the feeling, as he will prob be my last i feel the same about keeping the closeness of breastfeeding for long as poss, but I'd go crazy without sleep! Lucky as he's slept thru from 7 weeks, but jus feeds constantly in day

splishsplosh Tue 28-Aug-07 20:47:02

I used to have my dd in bed with me, and she often woke up every hour to enjoy some milk. I got so exhausted, and at the end of my tether. In the end I decided I had to stop feeding her at all at night, with no exceptions. I had a tough time for a time, as she would sometimes be awake for a couple of hours in the midle of the night with me rocking her or cuddling her to try and get her back to sleep. When she was nearly 14 months old, eventually put up the cot - the first night, fed her, put her in, she rolled over and slept for 12hrs. Has slept really well ever since - if she ever wakes up which is rare, just reach over, hug her and tell her to lie back down. Use a classical music for babies cd which always put on for her at sleep or nap time which seems to really help her.

If she's suffering with her teeth, does calpol or teething powder/gel help when she goes to bed?

Think the only way to stop the reliance on bf at night is to just completely stop, so she knows absolutely not going to happen, and see what other comforts might work.

Good luck

Habbibu Tue 28-Aug-07 20:52:19

Lara,

No more advice, really - just wanted to say I thought your post was lovely. You must be shattered, but your post was so full of joy and love for your little girl. She's a lucky thing, and must be such a happy little thing. I'm sure you'll find other ways to comfort and settle her, having built up such a great bond of trust with her. Good luck!

crokky Tue 28-Aug-07 20:56:36

My LO was the same, could not ever sleep without boob, up 10 times a night wanting it. Now we cosleep. Bed is against wall and this is where LO goes so does not fall out, then me in the middle then DH. I stopped BF when LO was 12/13 months but he still wants to be close to me - he likes to sleep with his hands in my hair! I don't know the solution, but you have my sympathy!

ProjectIcarus Tue 28-Aug-07 21:05:59

we have dd2 in her cot for the start of the night. Dh and I in our bed. Dd2 in beside us whenever she wakes after we are in bed. I have her at my side between me and a bed guard. Dh is in too but we have a super king as DD1 quite often joins us too.

dd1 was more like your wee one what are you giving her for teething? I found anbesol good for instant relief until the nurofen kicked in. Medised if she was snottery as well. I think that your presence is enough pain relief (awwwwww) so you might have to giver her something else if you want peace lol!

I think I have had about 2 months of uninterruprted sleep since May 2004. hmm

larahusky Tue 28-Aug-07 21:23:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CHOCOLATEPEANUT Tue 28-Aug-07 21:32:26

Lara poor you!!

At 9 mths she doesnt need a night feed and she is using your nipple for a dummy.I would buy her one and put her in her cot in her own room.Then dh can move back in!!

You can still bf and be close to her but to carry on like this is not good for you or her.You must be shattered.

This is my humble opinion and I wish you luck x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: