Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to still have tender nips 10 weeks in?

(19 Posts)
bumperlicious Tue 28-Aug-07 10:41:21

My nipples are often still pretty tender after my 10 week old DD has fed. She seems to be latching on ok, it's just afterwards they feel a bit sore. Is this normal and will it go? What can I use to soothe them?

kiskidee Tue 28-Aug-07 10:46:19

does your nipple seem even slightly flattened straight after she unlatches? I found that if my latch was not quite right, one side of my nipple had a straightish crease on one side.

someone else will come along with other ideas soon.

nicknack38 Tue 28-Aug-07 11:37:24

lansinoh cream afetr every feed - it works a treat :O) they dont mind the taste and keep using it for a few days even when they stop hurting. You can get it from any chemist and waitrose too

bumperlicious Tue 28-Aug-07 11:57:11

Does the lansinoh work even if my nipples aren't cracked?

nicknack38 Tue 28-Aug-07 12:01:07

did for me - i never had cracked nipples but it helps to make them a bit tougher :O)

determination Tue 28-Aug-07 12:39:21

Lansinoh does sooth nipples but after using it for weeks i got some Silverette and i have never had sore nipples again wink they soothe nipple like nothing else. A total godsend to breastfeeding mums!

sammysam Tue 28-Aug-07 13:46:14

mine are stil much more sensitive than they were pre dd-dd is 13 months now! Think its the extra work and attention they get grin

bumperlicious Tue 28-Aug-07 21:50:17

do the silverette work even if your nipples aren't cracked, just tender. They are a lot of money, would you say they are worth it?

absandme Tue 28-Aug-07 21:56:24

Feel free to try Lansinoh but I also found when mine were sore to give them some air time after a feed, don't put your bra on straight away.
If you are using breastpads you may want to try a different type, there is a big thread on breastpads ..... it's quite lengthy with a lot of reccommendations!

determination Tue 28-Aug-07 23:04:38

Yes, if mine feel the slightest bit tender, i wear the silverette for an hour or 2 and they are brand new again. I can feel relief immediately. Definately great value for money in my eyes.. sine i got them with dd1 and im now using them with dd2.

pinkclaire Tue 28-Aug-07 23:11:44

my nips still get tender after feeds and this is my third bf baby and she is 6 mths!

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 28-Aug-07 23:17:24

Is her latch OK Bumper...you may need to adjust her positioning a wee bit as she gets bigger.

you can have an impromptu BF workshop with holly and annobal and foxy tomorrow grin

mine are still sore at 12 weekssad, but i think it's cos now the thrush has been sorted out she is sucking harder again and is making me sore. They need to toughen up again I think. Strangely enough I had no pain with the thrush.

pinkclaire Tue 28-Aug-07 23:25:33

can anyone tell me why my dd is fussing and wriggling at the breast? she does this often. Have fed her older siblings til over a year old and neither dei this. havent been able to work out what it is

determination Wed 29-Aug-07 08:02:37

pinkclaire,
If you start you own thread you will get much more replys for fussing at the breast. Hope this helps wink

determination Wed 29-Aug-07 20:24:02

bump for pinkclaire.. Hows things? you should start your own thread for any further tips....

BUMPER,

How are you feeling today? Have your nipples improved any??

bumperlicious Wed 29-Aug-07 22:07:48

They are on and off determination (hurting on and off I mean not coming on and off!). Will try and concentrate on her latch again, we've got a bit complacent I think, an dI might try the silverette cups.

determination Wed 29-Aug-07 22:17:22

you should try them bumper, you might need them again anyway when her teeth come thru or if you have another baby.... or you could melt them down into nice earrings!

bumperlicious Wed 29-Aug-07 22:26:21

Another baby...? Nooooooooooooooooo! Thanks for the advice determination, thank crunchie it's payday tomorrow!

Place Wed 29-Aug-07 22:42:55

One good sign to look for....immediately after babes comes off the breast look at your nipples, are they the same shape as there were before the feed? nipples that have a creas, are pushed to on side, a big flattened or like the end of a new lipstick - they all mean the the attachment wasn't as good as it could be, and tht would be the reason for the sore nipps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now