Talk

Advanced search

Apparently breastfeeding my son is somehow inappropriate now he is crawling and eating food...

(53 Posts)
sleepycat Thu 23-Aug-07 15:34:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spidermama Thu 23-Aug-07 15:35:45

Poor thick fools. They don't have a clue. Go easy on them as it must be very hard to be so removed from your own species as this.

Spidermama Thu 23-Aug-07 15:37:15

Spidertoddler (2.5) has just wandered in to say 'I munt your nilk mummy'.

Olihan Thu 23-Aug-07 15:40:38

I'm waiting for these comments from my mum. DS2 is also 7 months and she weaned me at that age so she has no experience of bfing beyond that. I've already had a lecture about how babies who are walking and talking don't need bfing because 'they're not babies'. My response about the WHO recommendations and feeding until 2 was met with the immortal 'well of course, that's not really relevant to our society is it?'

I'm planning on bfing until 13, just to annoy her .

Olihan Thu 23-Aug-07 15:42:43

Oh, I've also had (from all sorts of people) 'Are you still feeding him yourself?' in a slightly shocked tone. I'm choosing to interpret those as 'gosh, aren't you doing well as it didn't hapen with the first 2' rather than the alternative.

sleepycat Thu 23-Aug-07 15:42:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

magnolia1 Thu 23-Aug-07 15:46:46

ds1 is 8.5 months and still b/f, mostly good vibes from people but the occasional 'Oh are you still b/f?' 'Will he not take a bottle then?' 'Wait till he bites you then you will stop!' Oh well actually he has bitten me, it hurt but we carried on
And the best one is 'Are you feeding him again ' He loves to feed all the time and I think people just assume when they get older they feed less! Nope mine feeds more

lljkk Thu 23-Aug-07 15:48:01

It's the delivery vessel they can't cope with, not the contents, sadly.

Of course, feeding your baby cow's milk heavily modified to resemble human milk out of a fake human feeding implement (a bottle with fake human nipple) is the only natural and "normal" way to feed baby humans -- gosh sleepycat, why isn't that obvious to you?

crokky Thu 23-Aug-07 15:49:47

Rather than quoting the world health org figure of 2 yrs, you could quote the UK Department of Health (which is very obviously relevant to our society!). They say 1 year so that should stop your critics at 7/8 months. If you carry on past 1 yr, I suppose you'll have to do it in secret

Spidermama Thu 23-Aug-07 15:50:24

Isn't it astonishing that people feel they havew the right to comment on something which is so obviously, fundamentally nothing to do with them. It's like you choosing to have an opinion on how they go about the process of urinating.

MaeWest Thu 23-Aug-07 15:51:51

My mum started making noises about weaning from the breast (but onto 'a cup of cows milk') at about the same time. Think it's because she weaned me and my brothers between 6-9 months. Now DS is 13 months and mostly feeding morning and evening she's stopped mentioning it as I think she's realised that we will stop when we're ready.

Also someone DH works with told him very earnestly that 'but you're ALLOWED to go onto bottles at 6 months, so why carry on bf?' DH has become a bit of a bf evangelist and set him straight. Bf is a lovely thing to do whatever age the baby.

Spidermama Thu 23-Aug-07 15:52:08

Or you could mention that the international average age for a child to stop is around 5-6. It's only here in the West we routinely practise curtailed breastfeeding.

Actually I'd be tempted to look at them without hiding my shock and just say, 'How dare you? Mind you own business.'

southutsire Thu 23-Aug-07 15:52:58

I do like the 'are you still feeding him yourself?' comments. My mum constantly used to ask that - she could never bring herself to use the word 'breastfeeding'. Sadly ds has just weaned himself at 12 months so I no longer get to hear the 'OMG I've raised a tree-hugger' silence down the phone...

kerala Thu 23-Aug-07 15:54:46

I got "are you STILL doing that?" from my FIL. DD was only 6 months!

Was happy to carry on but dd gave me up at 11 months. Felt abit rejected so well done you that its still going so well.

lennygirl Thu 23-Aug-07 16:08:05

Message withdrawn

Jackstini Thu 23-Aug-07 16:13:17

I don't get asked that much now as dd usually only feeds first/last thing now (17 months)
My standard response though was 'of course I am, I am lucky enough to be able to so why on earth would I take the benefits away from either of us' (followed by a pitying, withering look).

binkleandflip Thu 23-Aug-07 16:13:32

LOL she speaks very highly of you, too, lennygirl

Jackstini Thu 23-Aug-07 16:14:13

Or, "really? do you think I should go against Dept of Health advice then?"

Hurlyburly Thu 23-Aug-07 16:24:41

Likewise the Bitty sketch.

I really hate that. Really. So hostile to women.

NoBiggy Thu 23-Aug-07 18:35:58

I heard my SIL muttering a "still breastfeeding" comment to MIL the other week when we visited. MIL said "she looks like she's doing well on it". (DD, not me!)

Unexpected from her, tbh, but rather nice!

whomovedmychocolate Thu 23-Aug-07 18:40:43

My MiL asked me how long I intended to bf DD for (she's 10 months). I said I'd probably stop when she moved out to attend uni. That shut her up

Either tell people to sod off or say 'yes, it's great isn't it?' to the nersayers, they will rarely contradict you!

lailasmum Thu 23-Aug-07 18:40:59

One of my closest friends is still feeding her second child at 3 and fed her first till 5 so those who criticise really haven't got a clue about anything.

catinthehat Thu 23-Aug-07 18:41:15

Lennygirl you made me laugh!

catinthehat Thu 23-Aug-07 18:41:15

Lennygirl you made me laugh!

catinthehat Thu 23-Aug-07 18:42:03

? wha' happened??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now