Talk

Advanced search

how long do you wind your newborn

(16 Posts)
bumbly Mon 20-Aug-07 19:32:47

my LO is 4 weeks old and sometimes needs keeping upright for an hour?!!

is this normal?

burps appear 40+ mins later ...is squirming for ages after.....

what about you?

gegs73 Mon 20-Aug-07 19:37:10

When ds2 was 4 weeks I used to wind him for 20 mins or so and often didn't get a burp at the end of it leading to him being unsettled. I started using Infacol which quickly helped bring his wind up after feeds and made him more comfortable.

lizziemun Mon 20-Aug-07 20:21:07

I didn't bother as dd was like me when i was a baby and just wouldn't bring her wind up until she was ready.

Like gegs73 if used infacol to help.

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 20-Aug-07 20:23:25

DS3 is just totally wierd - he'll either do a MASSIVE burp sometime anything between 5-25 minutes after his milk OR he'll have a nice long sleep, have some cuddles and lie on the floor for a while - then you'll pick him up (anything up to 3hrs - or more at night) and he'll do a huge one??

Theclosetpagan Mon 20-Aug-07 20:24:56

Have to say that DS always took ages to wind and I did try just putting him down to see if all the winding was helping or was a waste of time. I found it helped though - he took ages as well.

Interestingly (and totally off topic for a moment) in other European countries they don't wind at all. When DS was tiny my Swiss cousin (mother 4x over) looked on utterly bemused while I winded him. "What" she said "are you doing". I explained and she said that they don't wind at all in Switzerland. You lay the baby down and the wind comes up or goes down.

seeker Mon 20-Aug-07 20:25:55

I never winded either of mine - I just laid them down and sometimes they burped and sometimes they didn't. What happens if you do the same with yours? I have heard that bf babies need less acive "winding" than bottle fed ones, but I don't know if that's true.

puffylovett Mon 20-Aug-07 20:29:30

DS took ages to wind - was always deep and trapped and hard squirmy burps. I wouldn't use infacol so used Colocynth (i think that's how you spell it) homeopathic remedy and that really helped - brought it up nice and soft and quick !

it's rubbish about bf babies not being windy !!

harryruby Tue 21-Aug-07 09:26:45

i bf my son till he was 10wk and only winded him when he went on the bottle and im bf my daughter and iv never winded her except when shes had ebm from a bottle. all babies are different some do it themselves others need help

numptysmummy Tue 21-Aug-07 09:29:30

Never winded any of mine - laid them down and it either went up or down or didn't! All breastfed. I think the idea is that bottle fed babies tend to take in more air hence more wind but some breastfed babies get windy too.

gegs73 Tue 21-Aug-07 12:18:25

Not just bottle fed babies who are windy! DS2 was actually more windy when I breastfed him than when he switched to bottles. Guess it could have been my diet?

bumbly Wed 22-Aug-07 15:56:55

i am winding all day it seems!!

Highlander Wed 22-Aug-07 16:04:35

Oh, I would jiggle DS1 around for what seemed like ages until he 'produced'. With DS2 he had as long as it took me to walk to his pram/cot. Sometimes he would wake up 10 mins later needing burped, sometimes there was no wind at all. Until he was 8 weeks old I would sit with him on my chest in the evenings watching TV until 10pm-ish. Don't know if that made any difference to his general wind capacity!

treacletart Wed 22-Aug-07 16:09:06

DD (2 weeks) doesn't seem to need any active winding at all. I used to find walking up ahd down the stairs with DS over my shoulder usually did the trick for him.

Mercy Wed 22-Aug-07 16:09:23

How do you wind your baby, Bumbly?

One trick I learnt was too place the baby on their tummy on the floor for a few seconds - that usually did the trick for ds (although they can bring up a tiny bit of milk at the same time if you do it too soon after a feed)

Mercy Wed 22-Aug-07 16:10:22

yes that's another method which worked for mine (the over the shoulder thing that is)

bumbly Wed 22-Aug-07 16:24:40

mercy - just hug in an upright positin on chest as all other positions don't work

may try your floor method though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now