Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Stressful feeding.

(15 Posts)
Trinaj Sun 19-Aug-07 20:55:06

Whilst in hospital my ds2 had low blood sugar and jaundice and had to be fed frequently - 2 -3 hrs.
The bf councellor came to help, just to find I wasn't producing enough - hence (?) jaundice. So I had to bf, express and then use donor milk to top up - every 2 hours!
I found this really stressful and draining.
Since being home I've been recommended to continue to top up to get rid of all jaundice, feeding 3- 4 hrs.(To be honest ds2 chooses to feed 2-3hrs anyway). So I've been bf - milk production greatly improved , and topping up with formular.
He sucks so hard he's making one nipple tender - not sore, just uncomfortable.
I want to bf, but am finding it stressful as I still can't satisfy him.
Do you think I'm doing the right thing?

determination Sun 19-Aug-07 21:56:52

Trin,

The more often you feed and the less topups you give the more milk you will produce. Have a look here

determination Sun 19-Aug-07 21:58:23

Also if you eat Oats this too will help increase your supply.

Or

you could get one of these Herbal Tinctures or Teas for increasing supply

tiktok Mon 20-Aug-07 00:16:28

Trin - 3-4 hrly is not very often for a newborn. Topping up reduces supply. Best way and only evidence-based way to increase supply is to feed often, day and night. Could be that it is fine just to drop the top ups, but check with midwife first - if he is having a lot you are best doing it gradually.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 20-Aug-07 00:40:02

Message withdrawn

Trinaj Mon 20-Aug-07 20:58:50

He's 6 days today.
I've now got a cracked nipple so have had to express from that side. Got a good ounce or so each time during the day, but only about half an ounce this eve. - In 10 mins. Does this seem normal? - I feel that there's less milk supply in the eve's.
Ds2 tends to 'flit' about in the eve's feeding for only a few minutes, falling asleep - unwakable! Then crying again 10 mins later. Until he eventually feeds well a couple hours later and has a top up then he will settle.
He feeds really well in the mornings - when I'm bursting!
Should I just leave topping up for the eve? or continue as before or stop all together?

determination Mon 20-Aug-07 21:34:36

Hi Trin,

How often have you been topping up? If it has been just once at night time it is likely best to drop this topup and allow your supply to increase at this time, as the topups will reduce the length of time at the breast and as a result prevent your supply from increasing.

Have a look here - Is your baby getting enough milk? This will give you an idea of what to look for.

Breastfeeding a baby with Jaundice

With regards to your cracked nipples, you want a pair of Silverette to heal them within no time at all. I was completely healed within 2 days and never cracked again If i felt my nipples getting tender i would wear the cups for a few hours and i was better again.

hobnob57 Mon 20-Aug-07 22:00:07

Trinaj,
I got fed the expressing and topping up line from my MWs and I can honestly say it did more harm than good. It got me so worked up and exhausted that I couldn't relax and enjoy feeding. The 3x a week weigh-ins with the MW didn't help at all either. My milk supply was low (I only expressed 15ml at the best of times in the early weeks, but then dd was feeding so often it's no wonder looking back!), and I remember dd crying for more one evening and there was nothing there and I was in pieces about it. It was all due to paranoia set off by someone muttering those words 'not enough milk'. By 6 weeks, I felt that things had caught up and dd was feeding well. She stopped the top-ups at 2 mths. Sometimes it takes that long for mum and dc to work things out! Next time, I'm not going to listen to well-meaning MW and just feed, feed, feed and enjoy it.

katwith3kittens Mon 20-Aug-07 22:21:00

Trin , Congratulations on your little boy.

My advice is to sit back, relax and feed as often as your little one demands (although no more than 3-4 hours at this stage). BF is hard and your nipples will feel sore at first as they are not used to it.

Jaundice is common and bF babies take longer to excrete the colour, in my experience it can take up to 2 weeks before it gradually starts to clear from the toes up to the head.

Being under pressure does not help anyone. Forget about topping up and just relax. I am sure you wil do just fine x

determination Mon 20-Aug-07 22:42:51

Just thought i would add this..

Oatmeal for increasing supply This is a nice, cheap and easy way for you to feel good and increase your supply.

Believe in yourself, your body created your LO and is more than capable of creating the milk for your LO. Like everyone else has say.. relax, feed on demand and enjoy it

Trinaj Tue 21-Aug-07 09:55:28

Thanks all for your words of encouragement.
Have fed him just from me, over night and this morning. He seems to be doing really well, and think I shall try to keep it up as much as poss.
Finding late evening very tiring and hurts - think both lazy suck and tired nipples, so may keep topping up for then only. That way dh can feed while I get some rest.
He's started - already - sleeping really well at night, should I let him sleep or keep waking him to feed?

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 21-Aug-07 16:09:29

Message withdrawn

tiktok Tue 21-Aug-07 16:57:47

kat - why no more often than 3-4 hrly?? This is really not often enough for most young babies.

absandme Wed 22-Aug-07 09:36:56

Jaundice will clear but can take time. New baby is setting up your milk supply and well done to you to keep up with the breast feeding.
My early days were spent with sore nips, so little sleep you wouldn't beleive but it does get better! (I used to hate it when people said that to me!)
If you find that some days ds2 just wants to feed & feed then stay in your pajamas on the sofa with plenty to eat and drink and feed on demand, sleep when ds2 sleeps and you'll get through it.
Plenty of rest will help your milk too. It's really common to have a little less milk in the eve and loads in the morning.
The final night feed may also be long as baby is putting their milk order in for the following day.
My new baby feeds used to last an hour, the night feed would be two hours but now it's down to 10 mins for feeds!
I'm really glad I kept it up, it's not for everyone but i've loved it!
Sorry this is such a long message!

Trinaj Wed 22-Aug-07 12:06:37

Thanks absandme - that's sound advice.
I'm definately perservering this time - through the pain! - there must be light at the end of this tunnel - lol!
Although with 2 other dc it's impossible to sleep whenever ds2 does - but he's sleeping well at night so I'm still getting some good kip - and dh is sorting other dc out in the mornings so I don't have to rush.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now