Talk

Advanced search

13 months old, biting and distracted - what to do?

(5 Posts)
OldieMum Wed 15-Aug-07 22:42:17

DS has been exclusively breast-fed. I have been delighted about this. I'm 45 and I struggled with DD four years ago. She was exclusively bottle-fed from four months. I had been hoping to keep Bf-ing him until he was 2, in line with WHO guidelines. However, while he feeds in a serious and concentrated way first thing in the morning, the picture is quite different later in the day. I feed him when he gets back from nursery (about 4pm, and more like 2.30 on non-nursery days) and again at bedtime. In the last couple of weeks, these feeds have become more and more desultory. He bites my nipples, giggles a lot and loses interest within half a minute on either breast. Is there anything I can do to make him more likely to concentrate? If not, should I just drop these two feeds? If I do, will one feed a day be enough to maintain my supply?

determination Thu 16-Aug-07 08:24:56

Have you tried a Nursing Necklace they are great for keeping them interested during feeds - however, you may find that he wants to feed for longer

one feed per day would be ennough for keeping enough milk there - you will just make what you need.

Well done for carrying on this long

OldieMum Thu 16-Aug-07 18:50:26

Thanks!

bojangles Thu 16-Aug-07 22:04:24

Hi OM - well done for feeding for so long. I am still feeding my DS (14 months)too. DS has been messing around feeding from me too -his favourite is getting a really big mouthful of breast and then blowing a very large raspberry followed by lots of giggles, he also flicks my nipple with is fingers and teases me pretending to bite - I generally presume that he doesn't want to feed at these times and put them away - if he wants milk he will come back for it.

I have found that times and frequency of feeds has varied quite a lot over the last few months from one feed to over 5 but generally he feeds before bed and during night but doesn't for breakfast.

determination Fri 17-Aug-07 20:42:41

lol, i forgot how funny bfing can get - although it is really frustating and annoying.. this made me laugh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now