Talk

Advanced search

Making up bottles with bottled water abroad

(10 Posts)
SpadesOfGlory Tue 01-Oct-19 08:16:44

We're off on holiday (Spain) at the weekend with our 6 month old who is on Aptamil Anti Reflux milk which isn't made with boiling water as it clumps. At the minute we use the perfect prep machine (I know, I know) and just dispense all the hot and cold water into the bottle, then add the powder at the end, which works perfectly in terms of temperature.

Now DS is 6 months I have been giving him drinks of tap water also. My question is this...can I use say 5oz of unboiled bottled water and 2oz boiling water to get the same effect? It would be a lot easier for travelling etc but want to make sure it's ok to do!

And can I give him unboiled bottled water to drink? I know about checking the sodium levels etc. smile

OP’s posts: |
Tiptopj Tue 01-Oct-19 08:23:59

I'm not 100% sure, usually the advice is to take pre made but obviously you cant do that with anti reflux milk. I would have thought boiled bottled water would be best, we as adults are told not to drink tap water abroad so I'm not sure I'd be happy to give it a baby. As for the sodium, if you've started weaning maybe just really restrict high sodium foods for the holiday. I'd probably check with HV too

SpadesOfGlory Tue 01-Oct-19 08:34:57

Oh I wouldnt give him tap water abroad, I meant could I give him bottled water unboiled as long as it's the one that's ok for babies? I've been told there's a symbol on some brands of bottled water so you know the sodium level is safe.

I can boil bottled water and allow to cool to make up his bottles, it would just involve a bit less forward planning if I could just take a bottle of water and a flask of boiling water out with us for the day instead of pre boiling and cooling bottled water.

We started weaning early due to reflux so he's eating our food now just a bit mashed. I'm going to bring some emergency baby meals with me just in case the hotel food is unsuitable too.

charley39 Tue 01-Oct-19 09:27:06

Most of the bottled water will have a picture of a baby on if it’s suitable for babies. If not then someone could help you out there I’m sure. We used this to boil and make our bottles up but we didn’t give just plain water as DS was too young.

Branleuse Tue 01-Oct-19 10:02:54

Evian is suitable for babies.

Tiptopj Tue 01-Oct-19 15:30:11

Ah sorry I mis-understood your post, yeah I'd go with bottled water too, cant see why that would cause any problems x

GirlInTheDirtyShirt Tue 01-Oct-19 15:34:48

Spain-dweller here. You don’t need to boil bottled water, it’s safe to drink.

SpadesOfGlory Tue 01-Oct-19 15:42:36

GirlInTheDirtyShirt so I can make up a feed with unboiled bottled water and top up with boiling water to get the right temp?

Can you all tell this is our first time abroad with a baby? 😂 clueless!

Tiptopj Tue 01-Oct-19 16:33:46

Yes but the other way around, mix the powder with an Ounce or 2 of boiled water and top up with cold bottled water- adding the boiled 2nd wont kill any bacteria in the milk. Doing it that way is basically the same as using a prep machine. That's how I did it when we went away but we stayed in the UK so I just topped up with tap water

SpadesOfGlory Tue 01-Oct-19 16:51:27

I cant do it that way because the powder he has isnt meant to be mixed with boiling water, if it hits boiling water it clumps. Dont ask me how that works with bacteria, but he's come to no harm so far

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in