Talk

Advanced search

how do I offer to help with breastfeeding?

(7 Posts)
kazbeth Sat 11-Aug-07 12:33:20

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me on this.

I've recently stopped breastfeeding my 14 month old. I had lots of problems but also received lots of help too, both online and from councillors. I'd really love to now offer some help to other mums who may be struggling with feeding but don't know how to go about this.

I've heard of breastfeeding peer supporters but know nothing about what training you'd need etc. Is this worth doing or is it only really helpful to get help from a properly trained councillor (I don't really have the time nor money to go in for a full blown course though).

Does anyone have any links and/or experience with this?

Thanks

Eulalia Sat 11-Aug-07 12:35:46

I helped out on one breastfeeding support group just on an informal basis. I approached my health visitor and she told me about local groups and I just attended one with my baby. It felt good to spread my knowledge and experience. Good luck.

moondog Sat 11-Aug-07 13:58:13

Look at this part of the Association for Breastfeeding Mothers' website

Lovely idea Kazbeth.

berolina Sat 11-Aug-07 14:01:54

I tell pg friends they can contact me any time about bf issues. Some tell their friends about me too

After ds2 arrives I will probably, like Eulalia, help out informally at a bf group. I plan to look into training as a bf counsellor, but, like you, am unlikely to have the time/funds/circumstances over the next few years.

kazbeth Sat 11-Aug-07 14:28:28

Thanks for the replies

I'll have to have a word with my HV although she hasn't seemed that interested in any breastfeeding issues I've had before but will see anyway.

I've had a look at the link Moondog but am a bit confused about what the Mother's Supporters actually do in a practical sense as it says they don't give specific advice.

We have a breastfeeding group reasonably local so will find out when/where and pop in there and ask too.

Is there any benefit/problems with being associated with one association (eg ABM, LLL or NCT). Are any better to join than others?

Thanks again

moondog Sat 11-Aug-07 14:36:11

Kazbeth,first rule is never to assume HVs know or anre indeed interested in breastfeeding issues.As is eveident form countless stories by MNers.many don't know theirarse from their elbow.

We can only each speak from personal experience which in my case is ABM.

Why not phone theri helpline and have a chat or leave a query? They are lvoely people,all mother volunteers.

08444 122 949

kazbeth Sun 12-Aug-07 16:10:55

Thanks Moondog

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now