Talk

Advanced search

Domperidone - help and advice pls

(6 Posts)
georgiebs Fri 10-Aug-07 19:48:49

I have a 13 day old DS2 and breast feeding adviser at hosp has recommended i try Domperidone as my supply is not as good as it needs to be. (reasons why i have this problem are same as with DS1, to do with my adrenal system, long standing condition.) with DS 1 was hospitalised ay 4 weeks as he was starving, have posted about this before, an awful experience which i do not want to repeat with new baby...any thoughts on Domperidone, side effects, success, ambivalence, I d love to know before i give it a go.many thanks georgie

georgiebs Fri 10-Aug-07 21:09:44

bump

georgiebs Sat 11-Aug-07 09:01:59

bump

Kif Sat 11-Aug-07 09:18:58

i used it for six weeks - had absolutely no probs. felt much better on it than fenugreek. My gp was a little sceptical but we consulted a paed who said "i prescribe this to babies directly all the time - so it doesn't really matter even if some gets through to him".

get it on prescription tho' - it costs a fortune.

georgiebs Sat 11-Aug-07 09:49:01

thanks kif. out of interest why did you only take it for 6 weks, is that how long it takes to work thanks georgie,

Kif Mon 13-Aug-07 15:41:35

Sorry - just seen this.

It took about three days for me to feel the effect.

My GP said his notes said best not take it longer than 5 (?) wks. We had a chat when my original prescription ran out,and we agreed I'd try to come off it... I anticipated (from what I'd read) it would be hard to come off it, but it was actually virtually seamless.

Fenugreek - for me - was like whoomph suddenly lots of extra milk and engorged boobs. Domperidone seemed to work more subtly. You know the supply/demand thing? It was like it boosted that mechanism, rather than the milk supply directly iyswim. Ds fed lots, and my milk supply must have gradually increased (he seemed more satisfied), without any real fuller breast feeling.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: