Talk

Advanced search

Baby bites at every feed

(9 Posts)
shreddednips Wed 18-Sep-19 10:10:32

My son is nearly 8 months and EBF. For the last few days he's been biting at every feed. He has sharp bottom teeth and the pain is unbelievable! I'm pretty sure the top front teeth are about to come through but it's taking a while.
I've tried following the advice on Kellymom etc, firmly saying no and stopping feeding but he's not getting the message....I'm also giving him calpol for the soreness and getting him to chew on a teether to ease his gums before a feed like she suggested. He ends each feed with a big chomp but often bites straight away when offered a boob, sort of lunges at it like a little lion. He also makes a growling noise confused
It's making me really nervous to feed him because I know I'm almost certainly going to be bitten. I'm scared he's actually going to draw blood, surprised he hasn't already! I'm sure he's getting less milk because of it as I'm having to stop feeding so frequently (trying to be consistent and not just let him bite) and he's started waking in the night as he's hungry. Luckily he eats a good amount of solids.
I really want to carry on breastfeeding. I stopped at 5 weeks and he was formula fed as I was finding it tough, but it made his reflux worse so I ended up relactating which was a massive faff. Since then it's been working really well for us until the biting started, I just can't carry on much longer if the biting isn't going to stop. I feel really stressed! Has anyone's baby been through a biting phase and did it resolve? I could probably face my nips running the gauntlet of his jaws a bit longer if there was light at the end of the tunnel....would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.

kellyw1989 Wed 18-Sep-19 14:15:08

I had the same Hun and Little one was tearing my nipples to Shreds. Have you tried nipple shields ?

shreddednips Wed 18-Sep-19 14:42:12

Nipple shields! Didn't even occur to me, thanks! I heard they were bad for your supply but I wonder if that still applies 8 months in? I will try, I can't carry on being bitten!

kellyw1989 Wed 18-Sep-19 14:48:48

I used them between 10-12 mths I had no issue. I got to the stage would give anything a go. Are your nipples cut atall ?

shreddednips Wed 18-Sep-19 17:33:04

No, I'm amazed they're not! They just look a bit red and unhappy sad but I think once his top teeth are through it will be worse if he hasn't stopped!
I'll definitely give the shields a go, I'm also trying to leave a bit longer between feeds. Sometimes I think he does it because he isn't really hungry. He thinks it's hilarious angry

kellyw1989 Wed 18-Sep-19 17:34:27

That’s how mine was at times I think he thought my nipples were for his entertainment x

SquigglePigs Wed 18-Sep-19 18:13:47

My DD started doing the same thing last week just after her first tooth came through. I did what you did and she's stopped after a few days. She did it again today for the first time in several days and I think it's because she was upset when we started the feed (she's got a cold so she's a grumpy little thing). When we start a feed calmly she's not doing it any more. Not sure if that helps at all!

ClaraLane Wed 18-Sep-19 19:10:34

When my daughter did this I would smoosh her into my boob a bit so she couldn’t breathe (I did this very gently) and she would quickly unlatch and stop biting. I only had to do it a couple of times before she stopped doing it completely.

Harrysmummy246 Thu 19-Sep-19 16:34:25

Push baby further into the boob rather than taking them off. THey have to open wider then rather than bite down. Pay attention to him opening wide to latch as well.

DS had the odd bite on me (and did indeed draw blood) but mostly just did a nasty scraping grazing thing which was pretty raw for days after each time. It usually stopped when that tooth came in and to be honest after the front teeth, was less of an issue anyway

He's not waking in the night just for hunger- if he's teething, it could be pain or there's a sleep regression from 8-10 mo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »