Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I gave up bf two days ago and want to start again - kickstarting milk supply ideas needed

(12 Posts)
flashfinn Thu 09-Aug-07 18:11:37

I have been bf ds3 since birth with the odd bottle - then two weeks ago started giving more bottles and then decided it was time to ff and stopped a couple of days ago (not sure why really - felt quite proud of myself that had done 4 months but having tough time and had had enough). He had a bf on tues as was conscious that could not simply stop and once this morning - I want to start bf again and have just fed him again. Do I just feed him as much as poss to kickstart my bf or are there any top tips??

I have to drive back home tonight - two hours in a car with three boys - so will check out your words of wisdom later tonight.

Thanks

flashfinn Thu 09-Aug-07 18:12:03

Its octo btw - had a name change

amidaiwish Thu 09-Aug-07 18:14:55

i stopped bf at about 4.5 months, then after nearly a week of stopping DD2 had a bit of a tummy upset - went to the GP and he told me to bf her again. i did and carried on for a good few weeks. let him suckle as much as you can bear.

i'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be here in a min!

NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 09-Aug-07 18:17:00

I would say let DS feed as often as possible.

NormaStanleyFletcher Thu 09-Aug-07 18:21:09

kellymom is always good for info

hunkermunker Thu 09-Aug-07 18:23:51

Hey, Octo.

Ring a bf counsellor as well - numbers on my profile. Feed as much as possible.

How is DS3 about feeding? Is he happy to come back to bf? Sounds like he is. If he seems content after feeds, you're happy to feed him as often as he wants, the gap shouldn't have made too much difference, I don't think. Lots of skin to skin, try feeding him in the bath, etc.

Well done for feeding for 4 months and here's to the next four feeds (that's as far in the future as you should ever look with bf, I think - next feed if you're having a really tough time!).

flashfinn Thu 09-Aug-07 22:23:59

Thanks for help - he doesn't seem happy after a bf which is why I decided to go for bottles... when got back tonight - I bf on both sides - know supply is low - but he seemed settled - put him down and he started yelling - so gave him 3oz of ff and he guzzled it and wanted more - but hadn't made any more - so offered him boob again - he sucked for a bit - threw his arm over his eyes and yelled then I put him down and he has gone to sleep again! I know that until I get my milk back properly he isn't going to get enough but also know I need to carry on with it to get the supply back iyswim!

I have made some bottles up for standy overnight just in case - but am thinking maybe bf during day and ff for his 3 night feeds once my milk is re-established - or am I flogging a dead horse?

hunkermunker Fri 10-Aug-07 00:09:35

I'd say work on getting back to full bf, if that's what you want to do - then see how his sleep is and whether he needs bottles at night still.

Feeding him is the best thing for your supply and it sounds like you're doing a fair bit of that, so should be fine soon - well done!

bramblina Fri 10-Aug-07 00:17:13

I got let-down in both breasts for months and months- if you get it in both breasts while your ds feeds the first side, could you express a little from the other? Even if you don't keep it, it will encourage more production, if only a little, over a few days this could be quite a lot. This worked for me.

orangehead Fri 10-Aug-07 00:48:13

try using a breast pump between feeds to help production

mears Fri 10-Aug-07 00:48:58

Since it is only 2 days since you stopped it won't be hard to get the milk production back again.

I would breastfeed him during the night as well initially. Since you have been supplementing for 2 weeks I would start reducing his bottles by 1 oz at a time,on a daily basis until your milk supply catches up. If he sleeps for a long spell you could express just to give extra stimulation to get the milk increased.

Hope it works for you - no reason why it shouldn't.

mears Fri 10-Aug-07 00:50:00

Would also feed 3 hourly as a minimum - more often if you can.

You should see an increase in milk production after 36 to 48 hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now