Talk

Advanced search

More BF probs....seems to be endless

(8 Posts)
Elsbells Thu 09-Aug-07 09:05:36

DD is now sometimes taking to the breast without it BUT she is damaging my nipples again. She had a slight tongue tie which was sorted last Th. I was advised by the MW that it will take her a while to learn to use her tongue properly. When we bf without the shields, 3/4 of the nipple comes out rounded but a bit is pinched and lipsticky. She can't seem to draw the entire nipple to her soft palate. By the end of the day, they are sore and sensitive. I have tried various positions (rugby, on all fours, lying down etc etc) and the outcome is always the same

I also have an outing this Sunday and I am ok with bf in public, I am a bit embarrassed to do with shields.

Am I missing anything here that can make my life easier?

I am a feeling a bit worn down from all our bf problems. DD is 9 weeks today and I still haven't established supply nor started enjoying bf this time round.

I thought 2nd babies were supposed to be easier.

EffiePerine Thu 09-Aug-07 09:08:04

Sorry you're having a tough time .

Are you using Lansinoh or a similar cream on your nipples? It can really help, along with air drying them as much as possible.

Don't have any experience with shields I'm afraid, but I would say go ahead and feed her in whichever way is easiest. You may find she has settled down by Sunday anyway . If you are really worried, could you express a little for that feed?

Elsbells Thu 09-Aug-07 09:12:28

I've ditched the expressing. I hired a double pump and not only been feeding but expressing as well 24/7 for weeks now to increase my supply and settle her. I am officially exhausted and have said no more.

I just couldn't bear it anymore.

Sounds selfish, I know.

3Ddonut Thu 09-Aug-07 09:18:03

I'm sure you've tried this but my littlest dd3, was the hardest to feed, she wouldn't take the entire nipple into her mouth, mw, advised me to rest nipple onto her bottom lip and then aim for the roof of her mouth (?!) and not to let her take it until she opened her mouth fully, she did eventually as she realised this was the way to get fed and naturally opened her mouth wider as she wasn't getting what she wanted! iyswim! She also has a tied tongue but that was never considered with us?! Good luck, have you tried expressing a drop or two of milk after your feed and bathing your nipple with it as nature's own way of nippple cream?

EffiePerine Thu 09-Aug-07 09:18:55

Not selfish at all! It is a faff, just thought it might be an alternative to feeding in public if that's a problem atm

Elsbells Thu 09-Aug-07 09:20:52

Could do for Sunday...do you think people will be weirded out if they see the shield before/after the feeds?

EffiePerine Thu 09-Aug-07 09:25:59

None of their business! You are feeding your baby and if they think it's weird they can sod off

dazedandconfunded Thu 09-Aug-07 09:35:16

I have bf in public with shields. The sort of person who objects to public b/f would probably prefer you to have your nipples covered with something akin to a bottle teat anyway! Pay no attention.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now