Talk

Advanced search

Reflux still hungry?

(15 Posts)
Lovelybaba Sun 25-Aug-19 04:01:14

Hi, so my baby is nearly 9 weeks old and has been suffering with what the Dr's believe to be reflux and colic.
However I can't tell if baby is still hungry after a feed (breastfed) as they have thrown up what appears to be a full feed. They are showing signs such as crying, rooting and putting hands in mouth. But when I feed again they throw up. (this is not for every feed)
I need help understanding if baby is still hungry and wheather to carry on feeding even tho they have been sick and are still unsettled?
Thanks

SnuggyBuggy Sun 25-Aug-19 07:04:47

I had a colic baby and found she just fed endlessly at this age. It may be your baby isn't hungry but wants some comfort. BF was the only thing that made mine happy at 5his age but she did grow out of it.

Projectbanjo Sun 25-Aug-19 07:07:25

My little one was like this, she fed hourly until 16 weeks.
The GP didn’t see the point in trying gaviscon as she was so bad they put her on ranitidine and after 2 weeks it made so much difference she’s now 8 months and only sick once every now and again

Projectbanjo Sun 25-Aug-19 07:09:21

I would say it did make DD reliant on boob for comfort but she’s starting to calm down for others when she’s gave herself an ouch or just full of baby rage

northernlites Sun 25-Aug-19 07:15:08

Sounds like reflux, what medicine has Gp prescribed? Gaviscon/ ranitidine
If your baby is still throwing up copious amounts of feeds then medicine is needed or correction of dose in medicine is required.
Your baby will likely still be hungry if throwing up majority of feed(S). Also they feed to sooth the acid reflux which causes pain.
Please go back and see GP asap

Lovelybaba Sun 25-Aug-19 11:16:36

Thanks for the responses. Yeah we have been given both gaviscon and ranitidine, however I've only used the ranitidine once as I didn't really like using it as it's do strong for small baby. But reading your comments I think I'm going to try it properly and hopefully it helps as she was terrible last night, didn't seem to keep any of feeds down. GPS are to worried if there is enough dirty nappies.

Chocrichtea Sun 25-Aug-19 11:40:29

Also after each feed keep baby upright for at least 30 mins. Lay on your belly that's what I did with DS. We also used ranitidine. We also have to use another medication as his was pretty bad. Does your baby have any other symptoms? My DS has a milk allergy and caused him to throw up alot along with the reflux too.

Lovelybaba Sun 25-Aug-19 12:48:28

No baby doesn't have milk allergy I asked the question, but was told to stop caffeine which I have done (but I really could do with a real coffee) and it's not made a difference. I do keep her upright for 15mins usually but she's been throwing up soon as she's off the boob. She will feed as if she's hungry tho, not like a comfort suckle and still throws up sad

Chocrichtea Sun 25-Aug-19 13:21:24

Yea my DS was drinking loads even the health visitor said it was alot and to cut down. It was like he was hungry to but it was actually to try and comfort feed from the reflux. Sometimes when they have too much in their bellies it can cause reflux too. Little and often I was told.

ProjectBanjo Sun 25-Aug-19 14:30:17

Ranitidine takes 10-14 days to actively make a difference but it should cut the crying down too cause she won’t be getting a sore throat from the burn anymore. I’d deffs give it ago again

northernlites Sun 25-Aug-19 15:33:59

Ranitidine is great, you must give it a go.
The dose is worked out according to the baby's weight range so it's perfectly safe, even if they don't like the taste.
The gaviscon works like a barrier at the top of the stomach preventing fluids rising up, sometimes more than 1 sachet required for it to work
Definitely use all that the doctor has prescribed and bear with it

Lovelybaba Tue 27-Aug-19 03:22:59

Projectbanjo... How long did your little one suffer with this? I'm hoping it won't be long before baby grows out of it as you cannot do anything with the day.

redbirdblackbird Tue 27-Aug-19 03:26:49

Ranitidine works wonders, gaviscon can constipate them so watch out for that. My son had awful reflux but it does end. Good luck xx

Projectbanjo Tue 27-Aug-19 06:22:17

@lovelybaba my LO was bad for a while, she screamed 4-8 hours daily with the pain though. I got ranitidine at 2 weeks old and was scared to give her it. Gave in at 4 weeks because she didn’t like the full feeding and sitting up all the time and I was very scared she’d choke on her sick throughout the night.
Within 2 weeks she stopped almost completely and was only doing small

Projectbanjo Tue 27-Aug-19 06:25:13

Sorry posted too early

Small bits of milk after large feeds.
She didn’t stop being upset till about 12-16 weeks though but it was only 3 hours a day instead of the 4-8 I was used to.
Made sooo much difference

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »