Talk

Advanced search

Can I still breastfeed?

(5 Posts)
Whuut Wed 28-Aug-19 13:49:16

My milk slowed slightly at one point and a friend told me to take fenugreek capsules, it's a herbal medicine. I was unsure how well they would work but after taking 2 a day for about 4 days I was producing more milk than ever! Maybe worth a go, hope you manage it, it's the best feeling!

Hellosunshine30 Sat 24-Aug-19 21:57:23

Thanks ladies.

I will try my best. The little man latched on today and it didn't hurt and it was funny seeing him trying to work his little tongue. I don't think he got anything from me, but it was nice to see us not struggle.

Glad it worked for you.

I will try and see if anything happens x

DC3dilemma Fri 23-Aug-19 23:56:02

At 4 weeks you absolutely can.

If baby is latching on, just feed, feed, feed.

4 weeks is still so small, you have a baby who will be happy laying on/with you much of the time, feeding on and off through the day. Prioritising this feeding on demand and lots of skin to skin will bring your supply up. I would also ensure that you do feed on demand through the night at this stage, as night time feeds have a big impact on supply.

Incidentally, I have never managed to get more than an ounce or two from a pump, ever. My third child has been exclusively breastfed despite this. Hard work for the first 6 months, eased off when solids introduced and now at 1 we continue with only a feed in the morning and at night. Mentioning this as it is hard work but doesn’t continue at that rate later -I think people can be put off by thinking those early days go on forever till you stop.

IKVH Fri 23-Aug-19 23:43:35

You can try. It can be done, but it's hard work. Though if it doesn't work, that's fine too. Don't feel like you must, just do what you can.

My DD had tongue tie, but was still able to get enough milk from me. It was just very painful for me. Was snipped at 12 weeks. That first feed after the snip I cried as it was the first painless breastfeeding I'd done. It got a little painful after that but then better.
My milk supply was not great in those first few months, but it got better.
The breastfeeding support group in the local children's centre was my life line. They were the ones who referred me for the snip in the end.

For the milk supply I fed as often as I could, took fenugreek and domperidone (prescribed), and pumped.

I got it to a good level where I could stop combination feeding, but I never was one to gush.

Good luck and hope it works out for you smile

Hellosunshine30 Fri 23-Aug-19 23:29:23

Hi

My boy had his tongue tie snipped today and is 4 weeks old. I was trying to combi feed until it was just proving so difficult. NHS were an useless at helping and so I went private to have this done.

My milk has really slowed down to the point I'm only getting about 10ml from the hakkaa pump.

I'm really pretty Clueless with breast feeding but I wanted to know would I be able to try start my milk up again?

I feel we have both been cheated out of breast feeding and would love to try and do it if I can.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Like I said, I'm Clueless. First time mum and had only decided to try breast feed the morning he was born.

Thanks x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »