Talk

Advanced search

Pumping

(5 Posts)
Summer2019NewMummy Tue 20-Aug-19 16:24:22

I'm after some advice.. I'm wanting to start expressing so my OH can give LO a bottle so I can get some rest/me time. LO is 1 month old.

Any advice on how to introduce a bottle?
When should I pump? How often? I'd like to build up a bit of a freezer supply of milk. So we could potentially have a night out in a few weeks/a months time. I don't want pumping to affect feeding LO.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 20-Aug-19 18:24:17

There are different theories. I was told not to introduce a bottle for 6 weeks but by then DS wouldn't accept one. It might be worth pumping at the same time each day from now and seeing how you get on.

Just remember that if you can't pump much off, that doesn't mean you're not producing it smile

modgepodge Tue 20-Aug-19 21:55:52

I started pumping when daughter was about 8 hours old and introduced a bottle at 5 days! I’d recommend the medela calma, it’s expensive but didn’t confuse my daughter, she would take bottle or breast. I’ve now had to switch to normal bottles and within a couple of weeks of combi feeding she now fusses at the breast which she didn’t before 🙁 a friend introduced a bottle early no problem but then left it a few weeks between bottle feeds once her husband was back at work and the baby now won’t take a bottle again, so I’d say make sure you do give it regularly once they’ll take it.

Megasaur5keeper Wed 21-Aug-19 19:46:10

You could try a haakaa or similar -esp if you are a bit leaky when you are feeding on one side. You suction it on and it catches leaks/draws milk out with no effort needed from you. Quite helpful but you might not get loads.

Summer2019NewMummy Thu 22-Aug-19 16:17:52

Thanks ladies. I've invested in a medela swing pump (was far cheaper at £90 on their website vs £150 in boots!). I also have a haakaa.. just to hope now that the little one will take a bottle

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in