Talk

Advanced search

Wind and squirmy breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
user1492964816 Tue 06-Aug-19 13:23:33

My little one is 4 weeks in a couple of days. Bf started really well, fed every 2 hours, had sore nipples to start but healed ok. Week 2-3 things started to decline a bit, she’s very windy and like most newborns can’t work out how to poo without straining and grunting: but she does within minutes of getting on the breast, straining, grunting, pulling at my nipple, going red, sometimes it’s so bad she pulls off and cries and I have to calm her. When she’s sleepy she is SO much better and can go through a feed without an issue. I know I have a forceful let down and she gulps which means she’s taking in air. But I’ve tried so many tips to make this better. I can’t work out at all the root of the issue. The let down/the fact it then slows down and isn’t quick enough/ or gas. It’s becoming really hard I don’t want to feed out in public or in front of people as I don’t know how she’s going to be. Has anyone had similar? Will it improve with her age?? Ahh advice welcome thank you.

OP’s posts: |
onedream Tue 06-Aug-19 14:21:31

Hi I would say it should improve with time..I had similar gas issues with my lo when he was few weeks old..used gripe water and infacol and did the leg exercises and tummy massage often which helped..with the fast let down I found out that as my lo got older he became more efficient and more 'experienced' in feeding and also your supply will stabilise too at the moment at 4 weeks your baby is still learning how to do it properly and so is your body establishing the milk supply..

user1492964816 Tue 06-Aug-19 15:17:00

Thank you- it’s just been hard work and it’s demoralising at times! Thank you for making me feel better about it smile

onedream Tue 06-Aug-19 18:17:40

You doing a great job I was going to stop lots of times in those first weeks but I did read somewhere to never stop on a bad day so I just carried on day after day..at 8-9 weeks things suddenly became easy he started feeding quicker and I finally survived a day without nipple cream smile those first weeks are tough you are doing very well x

user1492964816 Wed 07-Aug-19 12:09:28

Thank you so much it’s just hard when it’s every feed she seems to use to push a fart or a poo out and get completely sidetracked by wind. I’m so desperate for it to calm down so I atleast get some calm feeds. I’ll stick it out a bit longer. Thank you so much for your advice xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in