Talk

Advanced search

6 days old and has slept almost through the night!

(12 Posts)
Lubilu28 Sat 20-Jul-19 06:26:12

You would think I would be happy right?

But I’m a little worried and just after a little reassurance.

When I had my first son he fed every 2 hours like clock work. Now my second was going every 4 hours. Yesterday from about 3.30 he hadn’t really had a decent nap due to lots of visitors wanting to hold and disturb him. Then from 7 till around 11 he was constantly feeding (formula feeding) he must of had about 12oz in that time. He was so overtired we had to whack the hairdryer on just so he would settle.

He then woke at 4.30 for a feed but only had 2oz and fell straight back asleep. It’s now 6.30 and I’m sat here thinking should I wake him or just let him be?

He’s already back to his birth weight and no signs of infections or jaundice.

OP’s posts: |
coffeeaddiction Sat 20-Jul-19 06:32:57

I would leave him be , he is probably still full from the 12oz, his tummy is only tiny so it was probably a lot to handle.
Have you got a dummy and happy to use one ? I would suggest a dummy rather than over feeding just because it might make his tummy uncomfortable by drinking so much - my 16 month old is stuffed after drinking that much !

Thegracefuloctopus Sat 20-Jul-19 06:35:41

So went from 11-4.30 then had 2 oz then back to sleep, have i got that right? I think personally, i would leave him for another hour then wake and feed him. I would wait the hour because he has been feeding 4hrly so far so because he had so little, bring the next one forward a bit. Congratulations and hope youre feeling okay

MeanMrMustardSeed Sat 20-Jul-19 06:38:28

I would be feeding more regularly than that, so would wake him. I think plenty of feeding in the early weeks helps build them up for long term settledness!

Nearlyfriyay987654321 Sat 20-Jul-19 06:56:40

I wouldn’t worry he’s done a five hour stretch which isn’t unusual at all. My first was formula and he was an every four hour feeder from birth, sometimes he’d stretch it to five. So I honestly wouldn’t think anything of it.
Remember the saying, never wake a sleeping baby!

Lubilu28 Sat 20-Jul-19 07:12:04

coffeeaddiction we are using dummy’s but last night he wasn’t happy to just suck he was acting like he hadn’t been fed at all lol

thegracefuloctopus yes he had 2oz at 4.30. I woke him up just now and he had an oz and has feel asleep again. Just gonna leave him be now. I guess I’m just being a bit anxious as never experienced a sleepy newborn like this before lol

Thank you everyone I’m I feel a little better. I guess I’m a little more worried as his umbilical cord stump looks as if it’s hanging on by a thread, is wet and is really smelly. We saw the midwife yesterday and she wasn’t all that concerned but I can’t help but worry x

Nearlyfriyay987654321 Sat 20-Jul-19 07:13:49

Was he on the smaller side at birth? My first was 6lb at term and was a sleepy baby, all my Friends with smaller ones were the same,

Lubilu28 Sat 20-Jul-19 07:17:33

Definitely not on the small side. 8lb 15oz and 57cm long!! Wasn’t a long labour either only 2h 40min and pushed him out in 5 mins. X

WhenZogateSuperworm Sat 20-Jul-19 07:23:32

My DS was a 2 hourly feeder until he was 7 months, my DD is a sleeper. She was sleeping 4 hours at a time from birth and I was having to wake her to feed. She slept most of the day too until around 12 weeks! She is now 4 months and sleeps 8-6.

Rtmhwales Sat 20-Jul-19 07:41:24

Let him sleep and feed when he wants, just keep track of his weight (daily if you can for a couple weeks) and make sure it's going up. It drops a bit in the first week but after that should be going up. The doctor said as long as it kept going up, no need to wake him to feed. Count yourself lucky this time around.

harrypotterfan1604 Sat 20-Jul-19 07:51:09

I would let him sleep for now, especially as he’s had another oz. I’d probably try him in 2-3 hours.
I had wake dd to feed a lot during the first two weeks but after that she settled into it a bit more.
She’s now 6 months and sleeps 7pm-6am and has slept through the night since being 6 weeks old apart from the odd week here and there

Lubilu28 Sat 20-Jul-19 08:13:12

I’m just waiting for him to start feeding all through the night I just feel like it’s too good to be true lol 😂 everyone keeps telling me that it’s not gonna last just you wait! And I’m rooting that my baby proves them wrong!

My first has slept well since 6-8 weeks and my MIL has said from the start of this pregnancy that this one won’t be the same he’s going to be a nightmare 🙄🤷‍♀️ Xx

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in