Talk

Advanced search

Gassy newborn!

(5 Posts)
WindFlower92 Wed 19-Jun-19 16:33:49

Hi all, got a question that's hopefully not too stupid! Got a newborn that's almost 3 weeks old; been fully breastfeeding and she's been doing really well with it so far. I've noticed in the last couple of days she's been getting really fussy when feeding, she looks uncomfortable and like she's trying to pass gas constantly. I burp her throughout the feed and after, but she never really seems comfortable. She hasn't pooped much this week, although we did have a poo-splosion earlier! So I thought the discomfort would be over, but she's just woken up and still seems just as uncomfortable even with burping. Is this a case of just needing more effective burping, or could she have constipation or something?

OP’s posts: |
burritofan Thu 20-Jun-19 08:36:03

Have you tried bicycle legs and rubbing her tummy clockwise to help her fart?

Burp wise, get her really high up on your shoulder – so she's practically hanging off the other side! – to put pressure on her tummy; or try "Tiger in the tree" on your arm, or face down on your leg (support her head just over your knee).

I sympathise; 8wo DD lately yells for a good 20-45 minutes before finally bringing up a proper ladette belch, and she can't feed while it's stuck there. But it's a phase! Everything's a phase! (This is what I tell myself.)

Creas35 Fri 21-Jun-19 14:30:56

We use gripe water now and it seems to help

WindFlower92 Sat 22-Jun-19 20:55:47

Thanks - health visitor said it was colic so suggested infacol. Doesn't seem to be working at the moment! Will give those burping techniques a go; hopefully something distracts her from the crying as it's horrible to listen to!

OP’s posts: |
WaitingInTheBushesOfLove Sat 22-Jun-19 21:00:33

DS was struggling with wind and looked uncomfortable. There are YouTube videos that show different baby massages and leg movements to help pass wind. You could give it a try. It worked for us, not always but better than nothing!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in