Advanced search

Technical question about demand feeding *then* starting a routine

(8 Posts)
Pruners Mon 23-Jul-07 23:26:09

Message withdrawn

Twinklemegan Mon 23-Jul-07 23:27:07

I agree

GrimoireThief Mon 23-Jul-07 23:33:02

Personally I found that feeds got a bit more spaced and shorter around the 7-8 week mark so it could be coincidental that they found such an improvement with a routine that early.

It's such a mad time that first couple of months. I don't think you can truly get any perspective on in until you're out of it but of course the inverse it also true - you forget so quickly how overwhelming it is to be that sleep deprived and unable to do anything.

Thing is though, I didn't really demand feed as such because I was in so much pain I couldn't bear to feed more than every 3 hours and for about 30 minutes max at a time. Luckily for me ds was ok with that. I don't think it was really me fitting him into a routine, more that it coincidentally fitted with what he was happy with. I just removed the sucking at the nipple for comfort which in different circumstances I'd have been fine with. I had him suck my finger instead so I was still stuck to the sofa!

Different babies, different mothers, different experience which is why I'm pretty sceptical of routines.

Pruners Mon 23-Jul-07 23:33:21

Message withdrawn

GrimoireThief Mon 23-Jul-07 23:34:18

Oh, and when things got better after about 3 months I started to demand feed then, so go figure

Pruners Mon 23-Jul-07 23:34:18

Message withdrawn

Pruners Mon 23-Jul-07 23:34:45

Message withdrawn

Jojay Mon 23-Jul-07 23:49:40

Agree with you Pruners. Know lots of people who started off demand feeding, then moved to more of a routine to fit in a bit more with the rest of their lives.

None had any problems with supply at that stage.

However, my ds was such a sleepy baby that if I'd demand fed, he'd have slept for hours between feeds, and I don't know what sort of mess we'd have ended up in, if I hadn't followed a 'well known' routine. As a first time Mum with a baby who just wanted to sleep, it was a godsend to me, as I knew his needs were being met, even if he didn't think he needed it IYSWIM.

Ds took himself off the routine at about 10 weeks, I didn't force the issue, and a new routine evolved that suited us both.

We haven't done the routine since those early days, but I'm convinced it put us on the right track initially. Ds has always gained weight well, apart from taking 3 weeks to regain his birthweight ( when I was following his lead and demand feeding.....) and slept through from 4 months. I never had problems with my supply either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now