Talk

Advanced search

for how much longer is is safe to continue exclusive breastfeeding?

(9 Posts)
rainbow83 Sat 21-Jul-07 11:53:03

DD2 is 6 months and a week old, on a great routine which works for both of us, and is only breastfeeding, no formula/ solids. the reason i havent started weaning is because she seems very content as she is, sleeps well, feeds well and is gaining weight well (75th centile last time i checked a month ago) and reaching all her milestones, plus has three teeth. Do i need to start solids soon? am i endangering her health by delaying it? for how much longer is it safe to delay solids? she watches us eat but doesnt seem interested.

magnolia1 Sat 21-Jul-07 11:55:19

Not endangering her health but would say maybe let her try picking up food and feeding herself in the next month or so if she seems interested.

NotQuiteCockney Sat 21-Jul-07 11:56:43

I know some North American mothers continue exclusive breastfeeding to a year, because of allergy concerns. I don't think this does their kids any harm.

I'd probably let her have some spears of cooked carrot and see if she tries to eat them, just to see. If she's not ready, she won't manage it ...

tribpot Sat 21-Jul-07 11:57:22

My ds (ff) wasn't interested in solids at all at that age. I'd be fairly laidback about it, as magnolia says, let her try a few things as and when. She may surprise you!

CristinaTheAstonishing Sat 21-Jul-07 11:58:06

Have a look on kellymom.com as well for info on iron stores.

kiskidee Sat 21-Jul-07 12:01:30

my dd wasn't interested in solids till she was 10 months old when she decided yoghurt and porridge were ok. nothing i could have humanly done to make her eat.

are you thinking of doing babyled weaning? it sounds like that would be easiest. your daughter will reach for food in due time. my dd had a strong gag reflex till she was 13 months old then one day she literally snatched some german smoked paprika salami off my breakfast plate and never looked back.

the easiest thing i think is to put her on your lap at mealtimes to let her learn what food is about and don't stop her from reaching for what she fancies.

PotterCandles Sat 21-Jul-07 12:03:20

Ds2 wasn't interested in solids until aobut 7.5m. We tried him every so often, he would take a bit from a spoon, gum at some fingerfood, but was clearly not hungry and wasn't bothered if he missed a meal. Also, whenever he did eat any quantity, he would then clearly be bothered by his tummy and have aboslutely foul poos. When he was ready for solids it was quite clear because, rather than just accepting, he became enthusiastic. Also his tummy didn't bother him and his poos were more pooey than breastfed poos, but still fairly inoffensive. He still (at 9m) doesn't eat large amounts, but is obviously fit and healthy - as well as big!

rainbow83 Sat 21-Jul-07 12:07:47

kellymom and other websites say baby have enough iron for '6-12 months after birth', thats very vague and doesnt really answer my question. ta for the input. i've given her a soft carrot stick once or twice but she just played with it and dropped it.

geekgirl Sat 21-Jul-07 12:10:58

I didn't start dd1 on solids until she was 8 months old (because she had bad eczema already and I dreaded having to worry about food allergies on top of that), and even then she wasn't really that interested and was mainly breastfed until she was a year or so old.
She was always a big bonny baby and later weaning was not detrimental to her health.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now