Talk

Advanced search

How much formula should a 6 month old take at a time??

(5 Posts)
waahwaah Wed 18-Jul-07 19:04:15

I've just started weaning six month old DS onto formula in the last couple of weeks. I'm aiming to give him about five feeds a day, each 6-7 ounces. He guzzles away happily for a few minutes but flatly refuses to drink more than 4-5 ounces. Am still doing one breastfeed in the night. btw he's had bottles (EBM) since week two so quite used to them. Surely he should be wanting to take more than this at a time? How much formula should he be having in 24 hours?

suezee Wed 18-Jul-07 19:06:04

if ur weaning him then his tummy will be getting full off the food as well, he is really fine to be taking this amount of feed if hes having 5 bottles then a feed of u,

Seona1973 Wed 18-Jul-07 19:12:17

if he is weaning the minimum is 20oz of milk per day. The most my ds took at a time was 7oz (he took 8oz twice I think!!). He probably took around the same as your ds at 6 months and he had 1 bottle in the early hours of the morning too.

waahwaah Wed 18-Jul-07 19:41:29

great, thank you. I think I read somewhere (back of formula tub or a book?) that he should be having 30-35 oz a day - he is miles off that needless to say! only just starting weaning this week (solids, that is)

jj131 Wed 18-Jul-07 21:37:55

My 6.5 mo has 5 bottles a day, anywhere from 5-7 ounces, but every now and then 4. He never takes it all in one go -- he usually starts with about 3-4 ounces and then about 30-45 minutes takes another few. I also give him a few ounces in the middle of the night.

In total he takes on average 25 a day now that we have started solids. He's never taken anywhere close to that recommended 30-35 ounces a day and has so far been very happy and healthy regardless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now