Talk

Advanced search

Periods affecting breastfeeding

(2 Posts)
Lucylou321 Mon 06-May-19 11:38:01

I have a 4 month old who is mostly breast fed with roughly 1 bottle a day, sometimes more sometimes less.

Periods have returned and seem to have put her off breastfeeding, almost as if she doesn't like it anymore. She normally latches straight on and feeds really well but she's now arching her back and refusing to latch and then when she does she fusses and pulls away repeatedly. She won't feed off one side at all. It's only the second day of my period and Im worried she must be really hungry because she's barely feeding. I've tried expressing but barely anything is coming out so I don't know whether I'm producing less milk but I've never had supply issues before.

Her sleep has gone to pot as well although this was before the period. She's gone from sleeping 6-7 hour stretches over night to waking every hour.

I'm totally exhausted and worried she must be hungry. I've got formula in the house I just really didn't want to give up breastfeeding yet. Is it possible it's just my period that's changed the taste or something and when it's finished things will go back to normal? Or will my supply have disappeared?sad

OP’s posts: |
MonkeyToucher Mon 06-May-19 16:32:23

I can’t be much help I’m afraid, but regarding her sleep going to pot - this is (unfortunately) totally standard at 4 months. I’d google 4 month sleep regression and read up a bit about it. It’s tough, but totally unrelated to the feeding issues you’re also experiencing...

Hopefully someone more knowledgable about the feeding will be along soon!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in