Talk

Advanced search

6 month old schedule help please

(3 Posts)
homemadegin Sat 27-Apr-19 14:19:58

Hello

DD is 6.5 months. We had a hell of a start with feeding issues and weight loss and I think I'm paranoid about getting it wrong again. She has always been difficult to feed. She was combination fed until last week when I dropped BF.

So currently I do

Night feed 6oz
8.30am porridge and 6 oz. *
12 noon 6 oz. *
3pm 6 oz *
5pm dinner finger food and purée
6pm 6 oz
8pm 6 oz *

She averages 33 oz a day and I have starred the feeds she stops on.

I've tried before to increase volume or push to four hours and failed.

She brought the 8pm feed forward herself from 9pm.

She's on 50th centile now, was 25th.

She's dropping milk daily but often not eating much at all so I don't think it's that. I watch others feed a baby same age who drain 9 oz in minutes, I can be forty minutes to get five into her.

When she eats she drools constantly and spits everything out in raspberries. I read that I should just smile and ignore....she's opening her mouth, makes happy noises then spits it out. She starts blowing as soon as I put her in high chair.

I'm now crying writing this. It looks like to much milk, feeding failures again, ahhhhh. I want to blw but I'm terrified. I'm finding this such a challenge.

Can someone give me some advice please. What does your day look like. Should I drop a feed and where? What am I doing wrong? sad

OP’s posts: |
Imicola Sun 28-Apr-19 08:40:07

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong to me. Mine is just over 6 months old, and sounds similar. She has 6 or 7 bottles in a day, average intake is slightly higher than yours, but she also has days and weeks where she has less milk (including today!). Sometimes I think it might be teething pain causing issues with feeding (she is formula fed) - like perhaps the teat rubs on her gums. In terms of solids , she'll lick and chew, but not swallow much. A lot of what I give her gets spat out again! I think it just takes time for them to get used to the whole process, and the tastes and textures. I'm giving mostly things she can pick up and feed herself at the moment, as she seems to prefer exploring the food! Successes so far are omelette, roasted sweet potato and plain yogurt.
So I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that it sounds like your are doing the right things!

Imicola Sun 28-Apr-19 08:41:24

Oh, I also meant to say sometimes she feeds every 2.5 hours, but usually every 3 hours. She won't normally go for longer than that with the exception of overnight.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in