Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why "choose" to bottle feed???

(733 Posts)
Difers Fri 13-Jul-07 21:08:10

I am a breastfeeding mum and I meet lots of mums who said they tried to breastfeed but weren't able to which I can totally understand but My mother-in-law said she "chose" to bottlefeed and didn't bother even trying...

So I am wondering, given the benefits of breastfeeding, why would anyone "choose" to bottlefeed??

bizziebee Fri 13-Jul-07 21:12:44

I don't know but a girl I work with had a baby recently and she bottle-feeds cos she found the idea of breast feeding was too 'wierd'. I didn't know what to say to her!

Tutter Fri 13-Jul-07 21:13:26

<dons hard hat>

<reaches for popcorn>

bizziebee Fri 13-Jul-07 21:13:52

ALso my friend told me that her mum didn't breast feed because she said it made her feel like a cow. ????? eh????

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Fri 13-Jul-07 21:13:59

Because they want to.

End of story.

luckylady74 Fri 13-Jul-07 21:14:25

you know i'm very pro breast feeding, but i would think this is very obvious - professional advice - formula was pushed by all 30 years ago, peer pressure, sexualisation of breasts, embarrassment, wanting to share the feeding and so on.

AbRoller Fri 13-Jul-07 21:14:35

<<lurks>>

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Fri 13-Jul-07 21:14:47

Tutter - I was just thinking about whether to post pass the pop corn......

<salt, butter or sweet?>

compo Fri 13-Jul-07 21:15:21

it was probably a generational thing for your MIL.

aviatrix Fri 13-Jul-07 21:15:38

Message withdrawn

lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 21:15:46

it is such a personal decision and there is a real lack of accesible and worthwhile support

some try and cannot do it, some don;t try..at the end of the day, i think we all know breast is best...but ultimately, as mothers, we make the choice

if breastfeeding worked well for you, great! why not become a peer supporter and help others breastfeed, rather than denigrate the choices of other mums

how we feed our babies is very emotional, and very personal, and it is rarely as simple as choosing not to.

Twinklemegan Fri 13-Jul-07 21:16:02

When I questioned a friend about this the answer was:
- she didn't like the idea
- she didn't like having no routine
- she didn't like the thought of not knowing how much milk her DS was getting

Her DS was on a strict 4 hourly feeding regime from birth. Not my cup of tea but each to their own I guess - that's what her mum did.

I ended up bottle feeding btw, not out of choice unfortunately.

daisyandbabybootoo Fri 13-Jul-07 21:16:26

I think that it was a different generation perhaps and BF not seen as being as socially acceptable as it is now.

ow82 Fri 13-Jul-07 21:16:26

pass it over tutter & shove up on that sofa love.

MIL bottle fed DH/BIL, it was her own choice - she's never divilgued any details to me i've never asked. was a bit put out thou when she treid to tell me how I should/shouldn't be BF'ing DS when demand feeding. (prob new mum syndromoe thou)

aviatrix Fri 13-Jul-07 21:16:32

Message withdrawn

EffiePerine Fri 13-Jul-07 21:16:34

budge up budge up
<reaches for popcorn>

bizziebee Fri 13-Jul-07 21:17:08

I think it's a valid question too - maybe all the people reaching for popcorn are trying to stir up an argument - when there won't be one. (I hope)

lissie Fri 13-Jul-07 21:17:14

my sil chose to bottle feed because after having 2 babies close together she wanted her body back.

you may as well ask why choose to breast feed, we live in a free society, every choice is valid, thank god!

Tortington Fri 13-Jul-07 21:17:29

what a completely sanctimonious question

ow82 Fri 13-Jul-07 21:17:42

not always compo - MIL & my mum are the same age, we were BF as I say DH wasn't. no idea why he wasn't don't think MIL liked the idea./

aviatrix Fri 13-Jul-07 21:17:59

Message withdrawn

Tutter Fri 13-Jul-07 21:18:07

<raises eyebrow at fellow popcorn munchers>

<continues munching>

berylbainbridge Fri 13-Jul-07 21:18:24

oh fgs,for a myriad of reasons, same as people 'choose' to breastfeed. What an insufferably smug op.

lulumama Fri 13-Jul-07 21:18:49

the very phrasing of the question , with the word 'choose' in inverted commas, is denigrating , IMO

EffiePerine Fri 13-Jul-07 21:19:03

<elbows Tutter>

<steals popcorn>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now