Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding reminders

(2 Posts)
barbamama Tue 10-Jul-07 00:34:02

ok ds2 due soon and have suddennly remembered how much confusing info was given last time on bf and how I never really felt in control of it. Overview please?

Feed on demand initially but when should it start to settle into every 3? 4? hours again?

Do I give one breast and alternate or keep going to second breast if baby wants it? If so which one do you start on next time? Does it really matter?

Do I have to express? If I give formula if I go out once in a blue moon will this really mess up supply?

Only position ever got to work last time was the standard baby in arms in front one - any tips on how to do some others?

JoMa Tue 10-Jul-07 00:58:25

Ds2 is only 12 weeks but I have no idea when his feeds settled down, I just went with it. He now feeds every 3 hours during the day and every 4 hours at night, and has done for at least 6 weeks.

I feed from the right breast first most feeds as he seems to prefer that side and it's always produced more milk, if I don't think he's finished I offer him the same side again and finish with the other side. Tbh I have found that for me it doesn't matter if i don't alternate every time, i soon know if one hasn't been used for a couple of feeds!

You don't have to express, ds2 has had a combination of breastfeeding, expressed breastmilk from a bottle, and aptimil formula since birth. He has had about 5 formula feeds in his 12 weeks and it hasn't messed up my supply at all. Maybe best to give it a few weeks for supply to settle down, but ds2 had some aptimil at about 4 weeks.

I only use the standard feeding position in front, but he's a big lad so I have him sat on my knee to feed! I used the Rugby ball hold with ds1 but haven't needed/wanted it this time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now