Talk

Advanced search

Do I need expensive Medela freezer bags for freezing breastmilk?

(5 Posts)
smurfmother Mon 09-Jul-07 18:42:38

I'm expressing using the Medela Swing pump and want to start freezing milk. Medela freezer bags seem to be about £8 for 20 which seems like it will be quite pricey over time. Anyone know if it's ok to decant the milk from a bottle into a regular freezer bag?

purpleturtle Mon 09-Jul-07 18:43:59

I'm sure that's fine. I had a whole load of little tommee tippee pots given to me, and I used to freeze (miniscule amounts of) breastmilk in those.

librarianmummy Mon 09-Jul-07 19:14:08

I use the weaning cubes with lids on for freezing breast milk. They're really good if you can't express much at one session as they each take about an Ounce. Then you just defrost however many cubes you need. You can get them from the NCT sales site.

moondog Mon 09-Jul-07 19:14:55

Anything is fine (like you,realised they were a rip off) i had a motley selection of jam and mustard jars!

callmeovercautious Mon 09-Jul-07 19:45:49

Pretty much anything that is food safe and sterile. If I had a lot I used icecube bags, if not the small avent pots, which although expensive at first can be reused. I just kept it in the fridge and put each little bit in for around 24 hours or so then froze it. Since then I have found some good tubs in Tesco, they are small round tupperware type pots, 79p for 3 in the value range. I use them now for DDs meals but would work for milk too.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now