Talk

Advanced search

when to stop to giving milk in a bottle?

(10 Posts)
Ash80 Sun 08-Jul-07 20:13:37

My ds is 10 months, i was just wondering when is it time to stop giving milk from a bottle. He currently has 3 bottles, one in the morning after breakfast, one at about 2pm and one at bedtime. I could not imagine him sleeping without his night bottle feed.
He drinks water from a beaker though.

mumfor1standfinaltime Sun 08-Jul-07 20:19:01

I didn't stop until 15 months. I would try the beaker during the day if he will use it, can't do any harm, sooner the better really imo.

Chattyhan Sun 08-Jul-07 20:29:27

I'd switch to a cup/beaker as soon as you can. My DS was about 1 when he stopped having bottles but some DC take to it better than others. He still has bedtime milk at 2.5 but in a beaker!

pinkteddy Sun 08-Jul-07 21:09:28

Is he still drinking formula milk? I would drop the daytime bottle at 12 months and then switch to beaker for the morning milk (cows milk). You could start giving a small beaker of cows milk at breakfast now though with his cereal. FWIW my dd didn't seem to notice the switch over from bottle to beaker but I dropped morning first at 12 months and night time at about 18 months.

EnidJane Sun 08-Jul-07 21:10:24

dd3 still has her night milk in a bottle

she is 15 months

planning to stop it and give a cup at about 18 months

shje has a cup for all other drinks already

pinkteddy Sun 08-Jul-07 21:10:41

forgot to say though like chatty continued to give beaker of milk instead tho! My dd still enjoys beaker of milk in morning at 3!

deaconblue Sun 08-Jul-07 21:14:04

Ds is nearly 15 months and still has his milk in a bottle. He does drink water from a beaker thing but in such tiny amounts I worry he would give up on milk altogether if I took away the bottle. I plan to wait and go on to a cup when he's a bit better coordinated

louismummy Sun 08-Jul-07 21:57:24

ds didn't stop with a bottle at bed time until 2 when he gave up a bedtime drink. As long as you are only giving milk in it and don't leave in their cot theres no harm in it.

funnypeculiar Sun 08-Jul-07 22:00:00

ideally move to cup asap, if the 'proper' advice, I believe. Ds moved direct for bf to cup from 6 months. Dd is still having 3 bottles a day at 15 mths...

Think the key thing is that bottle drinking leads to longer exposure time for liquid on teeth, thus worse for teeth than a sippy cup.

Ash80 Mon 09-Jul-07 10:54:05

thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now