Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

what age can you just bf morning and evening before bed, and not express/feed in the day?

(5 Posts)
Gemmitygem Sun 08-Jul-07 16:07:47

DS is 9 months, has 4 breastfeeds a day (2 of expressed milk cos I work), and 3 full meals, plus drinks of water. He's a very good eater.

I'm wondering when he could move onto just breastfeeds morning and before bed, and cows' milk/goats' milk in the day with his meals, and would I be able to give him enough milk that way? would the supply adjust?

I only just dropped his 10 pm feed, so he goes 7pm to 6 or 6.30 am without anything, so don't want to do anything too drastic to reduce his intake too much. However, I would like to basically stop breastfeeding by one year (or reduce it to just a bit of comfort feeding), as already it's slowly becoming more about comfort and less about food, and I would quite like to think about baby number 2 (worried that periods haven't come back yet).

Any advice gratefully appreciated!

LIZS Sun 08-Jul-07 16:36:38

Ours were approaching a year . dd kept up a teatime cup of milk , ds didn't.

iamasurvivor Sun 08-Jul-07 19:04:30

i wouldnt give him cows milk yet but you could replace milk with cheese/yogurts etc. are you wanting to stop expressing? when my dd was 6 months and i had gone back to work, she would have breatfeed morning and evening with 1 bottle of EBM in the afternoon, the rest of her calories came from solids. why not try just giving 1 bottle of ebm and replacing the other with a snack of yogurt/fruit etc. HTH

Gemmitygem Mon 09-Jul-07 01:53:53

thanks,

yes, he already has quite a lot of cheese and yoghurt.. I could cut it to one bottle of EBM, just worried that my supply would drop, ,but friends have said your supply adjusts...

iamasurvivor Mon 09-Jul-07 02:24:21

your supply will adjust slightly especially if you are only expressing enough for one feed, but will still produce enough milk for your LO requirements.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now