Talk

Advanced search

How do I switch to cow's milk?

(14 Posts)
barneymcgroo Tue 19-Feb-19 22:46:02

My 12 mo boy is still breastfed - probably 3 times during the day and then all bloody night... He lasts fine during the day if I'm not there, just has milk morning and evening.

How do I go about introducing cow's milk? Just in a cup with meals and see how it goes? Or any other suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 20-Feb-19 19:44:00

There's no need to introduce cows milk to a bad baby if you don't want to OP.

If you do want to, you could try adding some warm milk in a cup. We did it in the bath in an open cup.

If he's keeping you awake all night, have you thought of night weaning? smile

lavalamp08 Sun 24-Feb-19 08:10:42

I know I might sound dumb but can you explain night weaning to me. I've got an 11 month EBF (she's fully food weaned) who is still up twice a night. I do think it's for comfort rather than being hungry, tbh I can handle once a night but when I'm working her getting up twice nearly kills me

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 24-Feb-19 10:59:41

lava. this method seems to be the most popular on MN. Have a read and see what you think smile

Redwinestillfine Sun 24-Feb-19 11:02:29

I would start with it on cereal and maybe before bed. Always in a sippy cup. There's no reason for babies to have bottles after about 6 months. Then just increase as appropriate.

MarthasGinYard Sun 24-Feb-19 11:03:39

In a sippy cup and on cereal

TeddyIsaHe Sun 24-Feb-19 11:19:39

Get a munchkin 360 as spouted cups are really bad for teeth.

Dd just had hers in an open cup and we went from there. She’s still bf though when with me.

NameChange30 Sun 24-Feb-19 11:23:31

Does he already have cow's milk on cereal, in porridge etc?

There's no need to introduce cow's milk as an actual drink.

As PPs said, you could night wean and continue breastfeeding morning and evening.

Unless you want to stop breastfeeding completely?

barneymcgroo Mon 25-Feb-19 11:19:40

Actually fairly happily bf - though thinking about trying for dc2 at some stage, and my periods haven't returned yet, so perhaps a little night weaning might be an idea. Was just wondering if I need to give him cow's milk - he's had it on cereal and in cooking since 6 months, so if I don't need to change anything, then that's all good.

NameChange30 Mon 25-Feb-19 11:26:37

👍

My periods started again a few months after we night weaned.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 25-Feb-19 20:01:26

There's some info on Kellymom about introducing cow's milk to a BF baby barney.

Night weaning might help with the fertility, you're right. I moved mine into their own rooms at about 14 months and the night feeds reduced. My periods came back at 18 months both times smile

barneymcgroo Tue 26-Feb-19 22:25:00

Ooh, thanks all. Very useful. The little darling refused to nap apart from a 45minute catnap today, so we'll see how it turns out this evening...

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 28-Feb-19 17:34:09

The little darling refused to nap apart from a 45minute catnap today, so we'll see how it turns out this evening.... How are things now barney? Are you mainly surviving on brew and gin

barneymcgroo Sun 03-Mar-19 23:04:39

It's been a week now of 1 x 1 hr (if I'm lucky) nap a day. Refusing the usual morning nap, so I hoped he'd then have a massive one at lunch time. No such luck. ginand brewit is then...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in