Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please Help Urgently !!!

(31 Posts)
rubyshoes Thu 05-Jul-07 12:21:17

Have 7 wk DS after c section, have battled on with breast feeding after really struggling, just got back form GP and I need to go into hospital urgently because I'm still bleeding and they want to do a D&C. Really worride about it effecting breast feeding, Baby can come but will need to have some milk there incase she needs it whilst I'm under, have expressed a little but not sure its enough. Worride about her having a bottle then not wanting me !!! Please help I'm so upset I don't want to stop feeding her. I had to fight my DP attitude and outlaws opions to carry on.

cadelaide Thu 05-Jul-07 12:35:01

oh rubyshoes, please try not to worry. I'm no expert but imo one bottle won't cause problems. Also i imagine you'll only be "unavailable" for a few hours ?....so even if she doen't have a bottle she won't starve

cadelaide Thu 05-Jul-07 12:35:31

sorry...he

daizydoo Thu 05-Jul-07 12:39:10

My Ds had to go into Special Care when he was 1 day old and was put on a bottle cos he was dehydrated and I needed a blood transfusion, so couldn't physically get to Special Care. We did a couple weeks of bottle and breastfeeding and DS took off and was then exclusively breastfed. I can understand your worries, if your LO does need formula then could someone cup them? Hope all goes well for you.

tissy Thu 05-Jul-07 12:39:31

don't panic

you can feed him just before you go down to theatre, and that should last him till you come back

the anaesthetic drugs won't affect him in any way- they are short acting, and will be out of your system before he needs another feed.

baby won't reject the breast, even if he does get one bottle while you're away- he's far more likely to reject the bottle, and scream the place down till you get back

tissy Thu 05-Jul-07 12:40:33

sorry if I got sex wrong- your post says "DS" then talks about her...

bristols Thu 05-Jul-07 12:42:23

You should only be away from your baby for a maximum of two hours. D&C is a very quick procedure and so it just depends how long you take to come round from the anaesthetic. If you feed DS just before you go to theatre, he'll probably sleep until you get back and not know anything about it!

I don't think one bottle would make much difference. I gave my DS a bottle of EBM at 2 weeks and he was fine going back to the breast.

Good luck

bristols Thu 05-Jul-07 12:42:56

x with Tissy!

kiskidee Thu 05-Jul-07 12:43:51

please phone up one of the four bf helplines.

mare Thu 05-Jul-07 12:44:27

Dont worry and don't be upset- You won't be unavailable for long enough for her to stop wanting your boobs!! Express as much as you can. It freezes brilliantly. If you are unavailable longer than your expressed milk lasts, get them to give her some formula if she is desperate- she won't starve even if she is a bit hungry and cranky.

There are always going to be the odd time when there is not enough breastmilk for the baby. I remember one time when my eldest was only a few weeks old. I think it was the day of the 8 week jabs. I had just finished breastfeeding him and was 'empty'. He promtly then threw the lot up and was then hungry again. I had nothing - but somehow he lived - and carried on to be breastfed for a year!!

You should be very proud of yourself - ignore everyone and carry on. Good luck in hospital.

kiskidee Thu 05-Jul-07 12:45:11

ABM 08444 122 949
BFN 08700 604233
NCT 0870 444 8707
LLL 0845 120 2918.

finsburymama Thu 05-Jul-07 12:53:41

rubyshoes just wanted to add hugs and sympathy. must be stressful for you - BUT - if you have even a bit of milk expressed that would help - doesn't need to be a full feed, should be enough to take the edge off his hunger then he'll be really keen to bf when you are able to!
hope all goes well and you are back home again soon

newgirl Thu 05-Jul-07 12:56:22

if you manage to feed once or twice a day you should both be fine to continue i think

hospital may have electric breastpump you can borrow too which i found more effective than hand pump

dont think a couple of bottles will make any difference now you are so well established

rubyshoes Thu 05-Jul-07 12:57:48

Thank you all so much, sorry I have a girl in a bit of a tizz! I'm probably panicing it's just dp and family have been desperate to give her a bottle of formula and take her "off" my hands since she was born and all I have wanted was a bit of support with everything else so I could breastfeed. I have never felt so emotional or determined about anything in my life!

cadelaide Thu 05-Jul-07 13:03:36

Well I dadn't want to suggest it but I reckon tissy's right, the worst that'll happen is she'll scream her head off and that won't hurt her.
Good Luck.....and top marks for not caving in to the pressure from dp and inlaws, how very mean they are.

cadelaide Thu 05-Jul-07 13:04:33

....well i spose it's well meant but you carry on digging yer heels in girl, they'll soon realise you mean it!

mare Thu 05-Jul-07 13:07:31

At least want to help. It sounds like they want a bit of 'special' time with her. Get them to take her for walks or entertain her in between feeds so you can have rest - especially after this D&C.

Surprised at DP! Mine was more than happy for me to bfeed - meant he didn't have to get up in the night or help with all that hassle of sterilising.

rubyshoes Thu 05-Jul-07 13:32:07

he's been a bit obsessive about it, even after he was reassured by breast feeding councilor that I was doing it right. He is a dr (not gp) and went so far as to say that there is no scientific evidence to prove that breast feeding is best.

mare Thu 05-Jul-07 13:46:50

Did I understand that right??? He's a doctor and wants you to stop breastfeeding???? What is going on here???

Maybe he knows the bit too much about lack of sexdrive while breastfeeding?? ...that and the shape change after prolonged feeding.

I can't quote scientific evidence but I am sure there is loads! Also anectotal evidence. Obviously one can't generalise but both my boys were fed for over a year and have hardly ever had a days sickness between them. Most of my friends only managed for a few weeks and all their kids are always down with one cold or another. They puked lots more too!

tissy Thu 05-Jul-07 13:51:33

rubyshoes, exactly what sort of doctor is he?

and what sort of evidence does he need?

You breastfeed for as long as you want, let the family take her for walks, change her nappy, dress her, bath her, whatever you feel comfortable with, but keep feeding her the way you want to!

<<shuffles off mumbling to self about "evidence" that bf is no better than ff...>>

rubyshoes Thu 05-Jul-07 13:55:05

I don't need to worry about him worrying about the sex drive he's not been interested since I was pregnant and is not now! It is very strange, he's not jealous of her like most men would be he's jealous of me being able to feed her even though I hand her over as soon as she has finished for everything else.

rubyshoes Thu 05-Jul-07 13:58:10

Thanks Tissy I will he has made me feel like a mad women at times. He deals with neurology, and other stuff but don't want to say too much just incase someone makes a connection.

kiskidee Fri 06-Jul-07 02:18:24

wot tissy said.

Then why don't you buy him (and yourself) a copy of 'The Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding' by Dr Jack Newman, Consultant Paediatrician for Unicef and operator of two BF clinics in Toronto?

you can send him a link to the good doctor's site here he has a very informative page about when a health professional is not supportive of bf.

rubyshoes Fri 06-Jul-07 14:49:16

That you very much for that link being a bit of a scientific bof he might appreciate it! I am going tomorrow at 7.30 am . hospital have said I need to wait 6 hrs to breast feed. All info I have looked at says that it's ok to do it has soon as your awake, tried to explain this to consultant but she wasn't to happy about me questioning her! I am useless at expressing and extremly subseptible to mastitus. Should i go against her advice ... anyone?

tiktok Fri 06-Jul-07 15:04:02

ruby - if the anaesthetic is out of your system, and you are conscious, it is out of your milk.

Feed when you feel ready

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now