Talk

Advanced search

Pain in nipple

(15 Posts)
Eminybob Thu 14-Feb-19 12:20:36

I’m ebf my 12 week old and the last couple of days I have a pain in/on one nipple.

It originally felt like DS was scratching me while feeding and didn’t feel like it was on the nipple but on the side of my breast, but then with investigation it seems it’s originating from my nipple.
It’s hard to describe but I can’t really pin point it. I thought it was a spot by then when I touch it directly it doesn’t hurt. There is no crack or obvious damage to my nipple. It only really hurts when feeding or touching it directly, possibly coming from inside?

Sorry I know I’ve explained it really badly, but does it ring any bells with anyone? Anyone had similar or know what could be the cause?

OP’s posts: |
Eminybob Thu 14-Feb-19 12:23:51

I meant to add, it’s like a scratchy/sharp pain.

Eminybob Thu 14-Feb-19 18:17:43

Bump

Bigonesmallone3 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:19:41

It doesn't sound like anything i have experienced or heard of, if it's an internal pain and it's bothering you I would suggest a trip to the gp

Mads123 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:22:48

I think thrush can cause nipple pain, has your DC got any white spots in mouth?

sirmione16 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:29:55

Definitely get it checked out - have you any other changes such as swelling, rashes, lumps or itching ?

HoustonBess Thu 14-Feb-19 18:40:21

Have you tried just hand expressing a bit and maybe squeezing the nipple itself? Sometimes a bit of dried milk kind of clogs it and it can feel like that.

Have you looked on Kellymom to see if there's anything on there? Otherwise yes GP.

Eminybob Thu 14-Feb-19 18:42:58

Thank you. There are no spots inside DS’s mouth I don’t think.

I’m going to the HV clinic tomorrow to have him weighed, is it worth mentioning to the HV or is it outside of thier area of expertise?

Eminybob Thu 14-Feb-19 18:44:45

No other changes and I have hand expressed a little bit and have been doing a lot of squeezing and investigating but not seen any dried milk pop out

HumpHumpWhale Thu 14-Feb-19 18:47:33

Thrush would be my guess, and if it is, and you leave it, you're going to be crying in pain in a few days. Daktarin cream is best - not the gel for oral thrush, and not canesten.

Eminybob Thu 14-Feb-19 18:53:14

Thanks, I have looked on kellymom and LLL and I agree it looks most like thrush.
Thank you, I will get to the GP

Marmite27 Thu 14-Feb-19 18:54:57

As we were using nipple shields DD didn’t get spots but I got thrush.

The skin around my nipples practically shredded off following shooting pains about 5 minutes after feeding.

Over the counter canesten cleared it up, just had to wipe it off before feeding.

NanooCov Thu 14-Feb-19 18:57:12

Sounds like thrush. Make sure both you and your baby are treated. It can take ages to clear annoyingly. I found taking a high dose probiotic plus using an anti fungal body wash also helped clear it up eventually along with cream for me and mouth gel for my baby.

Eminybob Thu 14-Feb-19 19:00:28

Can I continue to feed in the mean time?

Bigonesmallone3 Thu 14-Feb-19 19:24:36

Yes, don't stop feeding your baby otherwise your supply will decrease

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in