Talk

Advanced search

What under arm deodrant do you ude when breastfeeding-if any?

(36 Posts)
j20baby Wed 04-Jul-07 20:10:11

may sound daft but i was thinking of what to pack in hospital bag and it got me wondering, will the smell of the deodrant afect the baby feeding?

FluffyMummy123 Wed 04-Jul-07 20:12:18

Message withdrawn

ChasingSquirrels Wed 04-Jul-07 20:13:38

mine never did - unless it attracted him and thats why he fed so much

Highlander Wed 04-Jul-07 20:13:59

Sprays tend to flake and fall on your boobs. I switched to a cream after I had DS1.

j20baby Wed 04-Jul-07 20:14:09

meant use not ude

cod-no what?

j20baby Wed 04-Jul-07 20:14:47

do i get a fragrance free one or doesn't it matter?

fannyannie Wed 04-Jul-07 20:15:10

LOL CS - perhaps that's why both DS1 and DS3 (DS2 was FF) never actually took themselves off the boob once they'd had enough they just fell asleep

ChristmasPud Wed 04-Jul-07 20:16:51

I use a Lush one http://www.lush.co.uk - not the powdery ones the one for sensitive skin called aroma something. Use this anyway and is quite good and smells of patchouli. One chunk lasts for ages.

j20baby Wed 04-Jul-07 20:28:27

thank you all

may try the Lush

mawbroon Wed 04-Jul-07 20:29:29

I intentionally didn't wear any the morning I went in for my elective cs and then just haven't bothered since.

Anna8888 Wed 04-Jul-07 20:33:01

Dove cream deodorant - hardly smells at all.

I completely stopped wearing perfume and perfumed products when I had my daughter and still haven't started again, 2.8 years later

terramum Wed 04-Jul-07 22:28:46

I was chatting to a friend about this the other day.....we both remembered being very careful putting antiperspirant on for several weeks after the birth so as not to get it anywhere near the boob (not for the smell reason...but for the rather yucky taste it has!) and not wearing any perfume for a while for the same reason.....I stopped wearing deodorant last year so won't have the same problem next time

Jojay Wed 04-Jul-07 22:30:56

I wore any old deodorant and never had a problem

FrannyandZooey Wed 04-Jul-07 22:31:59

I use erm

oh bother what's it called

BIONSEN that's it

no nasty chemicals in it, you can get it in Tesco's or superdrug

maximummummy Wed 04-Jul-07 22:42:21

i didn't change my deodorant i use sure roll on and i successfully breastfed both my babies - although i now hear you shouldn't wash your upper body when you've just given birth for sucessful breastfeeding - i showered within a couple hours both times .

MrsCarrot Wed 04-Jul-07 22:44:47

Never thought about it really, I wouldn't wear perfume while feeding, but I hadn't thought about that.

GogoTheSmall Thu 05-Jul-07 09:46:44

I've switched to natural deodorant since dd was born, not because of smell but because of safety concerns. Most regular deodorants most contain aluminium and triclosan, which have been associated with health risks such as cancer.

I don't know of any evidence that it can harm a bf baby but I don't like to take the risk. So I use one of the natural 'mineral' type deodorants that don't smell of anything and don't get absorbed by your body like normal deodorants. They last for ages so they work out cheaper than normal deodorants anyway.

Maybe I'm paranoid - I used to work in consumer rights so I used to hear a lot about chemicals in consumer products, and how many aren't properly tested for their effects on human health - but I just think to myself, why take the risk?

mummydoit Thu 05-Jul-07 09:57:42

I use the same toiletries - deodorant, shower gel, perfume - as I did before I had kids and used them throughout breastfeeding. I avoided putting body lotion on my boobs but that was about it. Never gave it a moment's thought, to be honest.

mum2george Thu 05-Jul-07 10:18:17

Like goto, I wanted to avoid putting any chemicals in my breastmilk. Haven't really read any research on it, must be one of those paranoid mothers

Hardly every use deodorant these days, just don't seem to need it. Well thats IMO, others may not see it the same

mum2george Thu 05-Jul-07 10:18:46

Sorry that should have said gogo, not goto!

RomySchneider Thu 05-Jul-07 11:13:35

sodium bicarbonate (baking powder) works a treat, no smell no chemicals.

ConnorTraceptive Thu 05-Jul-07 11:16:55

good lord would never have even occured to me to change tbh

waitingforCOD Thu 05-Jul-07 11:18:00

what about http://www.crystalclearskin.com/ this?

sniff Thu 05-Jul-07 11:20:36

sure clear

didnt realise you could use just anyone

GogoTheSmall Thu 05-Jul-07 12:08:56

thats the stuff waitingforCOD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now