Talk

Advanced search

I'm going cold turkey, dd 14 mth, support and advice

(12 Posts)
littleducks Wed 04-Jul-07 10:03:20

Started this morning at 5 am.
I havent slept through the night since she was born, am probably pregnant and after having hypersemis gravidium through my pregnancy with dd and a m/c earlier this year, i just want to stop. I do feel very selfish.

I'm hoping she will stop trying to pull my top off and forget about it to. I offered water in a sippy cup at 5 am and she did drink some and ate a hipp gingerbread man. But then she didnt have much breakfast.

mangojuice Wed 04-Jul-07 13:20:14

Littleducks you musn't feel selfish. If the time is right for you to stop now then that is what you must do. How is it going so far?

littleducks Wed 04-Jul-07 15:11:35

not great at all, how can you distract her when she is clawing at me demanding milk, i gave in for the briefest session, but have been telling her that it is yuck now. Not sure if that is good or not but she doesnt understand finished and would see no as a challenge. i have offered more food to try and stop her getting hungry and there are sippy cups all over the place now.

mangojuice Wed 04-Jul-07 20:40:55

Gosh, that must be stressful for you. I'm afraid I can't offer any practical advice as haven't been in this situation myself, but I'm bumping for you in the hope that someone can help

littleducks Wed 04-Jul-07 20:58:47

going to sleep wasnt that bad, she had some warm cows milk (with honey ) cried for a bit then settled in her cot after pushing me away and snuggling up to dh, so looks like I'm in the doghouse!

Im not looking forward to tonight!

crokky Wed 04-Jul-07 21:03:08

I stopped at just under 13 months. If you manage a week totally without it, it is quite possible she won't even remember how to latch. I tried to give a feed 2 or 3 weeks after completely stopping (because LO was ill and I though it may help), but LO had totally forgotten how to latch and could not feed!

mangojuice Wed 04-Jul-07 21:09:23

Oh poor you! At least she went down to sleep though. Perhaps dh could go to her in the night if she cries. Are you giving her bottles or just the cup?

littleducks Wed 04-Jul-07 21:15:58

just the cup, she has never had a bottle so i didnt want to start now and have to wean her off them as this is sooo hard

i really appreciate the support

mangojuice Wed 04-Jul-07 21:33:57

I was just wondering about the bottle because it would still give you the chance to hold and cuddle her whilst she had her milk. I couldnt bf my dd for long so she had a bottle from very early on, and we weaned her off it at about 2 (I know!!) but by then we could reason with her, and she was fine about not having it anymore.

It's interesting what you said Crokky about getting through a week. Does your LO ever ask to nurse still?

mangojuice Thu 05-Jul-07 10:40:12

How was the night Littleducks?

littleducks Thu 05-Jul-07 12:08:55

Have been cuddling her lots but she seems to be massively favouring dh atm.
She still asks for milk, lots if she is bored and home alone which is why the 'dont offer or refuse method' wasn't for us, i stopped offering months ago without realising as she always asked.

I let her have a Rachels yoghurt drink thing as i did my shopping yesterday, she loved it so much that she tipped her head back a tad to enthusiastically and ended up with a lap full of cold yoghurt!

I cant believe she didnt feed all night, she woke up twice before 6 am, once she settled with water from the cup and second time she came in with us. She was up at 6 and ate a proper breakfast, which she wont normally as from 5 onwards she is normally nursing on and off for ages.

I am in agony though with the engorgement so am off to find some tips to deal with that.

Thanks for your postings has made me feel less alone.

mangojuice Thu 05-Jul-07 20:40:47

I'm so pleased that the night wasn't too bad for you. I do hope that tonight is better too, who knows, maybe you'll get a full night sleep soon! (Fingers crossed)

The engorgement should settle down in the next few days. With my first I had to stop feeding suddenly and the engorgement was terrible. I had no advice from the medical staff who told me I had to stop so I went from feeding about 14 times a day (she was only 3wks old) to not at all. I was in agony.

I can recommend the usuals: chilled savoy cabbages in your bra, paracetamol and I had some gel circles called breast nurse that you can chill and stick in your bra too.

Most of all though, I would say to express a bit of milk. It will only extend things fractionally but will make things much more bearable. And you could always give the milk to your dd to encourage her to like her beaker! I really wish I'd known to express as it would have made all the difference I think.

Good luck Littleducks, and hang on in there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now