Talk

Advanced search

Suddenly feel self-conscious feeding ds in public now he's a year old, and I HATE that

(9 Posts)
emkana Sun 01-Jul-07 20:50:45

... but I can't help it.

I was feeding ds at a party today that I had taken dd2 to, and I was feeling really self-conscious about it, when I don't want to feel that way and when I tell myself there's no need to.

Nobody said anything, but I kept wondering what people were thinking...

cylonbabe Sun 01-Jul-07 20:54:23

lol
emkana, either do it, nd be proud of the fact that you are doing your best for your baby, or bow to what you feel are social pressures and stop. but stop making yourself feel bad. what other people think is theri business. if they have a problem, let them deal with it.
however from what you say, no one had any problems with it, except you yourself. if you want to give up, then do

emkana Sun 01-Jul-07 20:55:37

Absolutely 100 % do not want to give up.

MollyCoddle Sun 01-Jul-07 20:55:48

Ooooh - I'm getting this too and DS is only 10 months. Was at a party today and only knew the host. Couldn't bring myself to feed DS infront of everyone, so went home (I live next door, so it wasn;t a great hardship, but still....).

I'm also cheesed off about this stupid bill protecting breastfeeding mothers until their child is a year old. Just reinforces people's opinion that BFing over a year is weird/wrong.

FrannyandZooey Sun 01-Jul-07 20:57:28

Emkana I went through a stage when ds was around this age of feeling that way. It didn't last too long, for me - I think I just needed to get through the barrier of him being over a year old. Once they get to about 18 m o and start asking for it, lifting your top, walking around and then coming over for a feed, it freaks a lot of people out SO MUCH that you just have to laugh and get on with it

nickytwotimes Sun 01-Jul-07 20:58:41

The only thing i think if i see another woman bfing a child of any age is "i wish that was me!" I tried so hard to bf and it didn't work out. Only managed a few weeks in the end. You should do it as long as you both want to. good for you!

elkiedee Sun 01-Jul-07 21:24:17

What nickytwotimes said - my baby's 8 weeks old, he got taken back into hospital after a week and we were kept there 8 days, I still hoped to express and maintain breastfeeding but the hospital really only paid lip service to that in their treatment plan, it wasn't a priority even after the first few days when he was clearly well again.

elkiedee Sun 01-Jul-07 21:25:48

emkana, well done, don't stop until you feel ready

emkana Sun 01-Jul-07 22:36:11

Thanks for the encouragement.

I fed both dd's until they were over 2 as well, so I'm sure I'll get used to it again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now