Talk

Advanced search

12 month old wants so much milk

(5 Posts)
Tortoise22 Sat 19-Jan-19 09:24:12

My 12 month old boy was BF up to 7 months at which point we introduced a bottle of formula per day and then gradually increased the amount of formula he was having and reduced the BFs until he was down to only one BF per day at about 10.5 months.

One of the main reasons for switching to formula was to reduce the number of night wakings, which worked at first and before Xmas he was down to only one feed overnight which was great.

However recently he just wants more and more milk. He's having 7foz in the morning, early afternoon, bedtime and then overnight usually two more 7oz bottles across 2 or 3 wakings. I just feel like he is wanting more and more milk when he should be wanting less. It's been like this since Xmas.

I'll be going back to work and He'll be starting nursery next week so I'm wondering whether I should just go with it until these major changes are over but I'm also thinking I could probably do with some more sleep once I'm back at work.

Anyone got any advice to offer? Is this normal? I really don't know what to do.

His weight is fine, he's always been around the 85th percentile.

OP’s posts: |
IHeartKingThistle Sat 19-Jan-19 09:34:50

He's more than old enough to go all night with no milk. Is he eating enough food?

Tortoise22 Sat 19-Jan-19 10:01:08

I find it really hard to know if he is eating enough solids, I'm guessing he doesn't. He seems to get bored at meal times, eg he'll happily eat about 6 mouthfuls of pasta and then not want anymore of that but will eat a little bit of yoghurt and then a little bit of fruit etc. I'm not sure what I can do to get him to eat bigger portions?

OP’s posts: |
Thesearmsofmine Sat 19-Jan-19 10:04:02

With my children I stopped bottles at 12 months(as recommended) They had cows milk in a cup in the morning, in the middle of the day and in the evening alongside meals. The rest of the time they had water. It sounds like he is filling up on milk so doesn’t need to fill up on food.

gentlyscented Sat 19-Jan-19 10:06:55

If he's drinking full fat milk then that's filling him up and why he's not eating as much food. Either give him less milk in the day or water it down so he's getting the same amount of oz but it's weak.
Offer him water at night instead of milk, if he refuses water he's milk down less and less each night until it's water alone. They won't usually wake up for water.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in