Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Problem feeding 5 week old baby

(12 Posts)
gegs73 Fri 29-Jun-07 14:53:53

DS2 is 5 weeks old on Monday. The last two days he has been fussing and screaming when I've been feeding him but only at certain feeds. I'm BFing him, but also tried him with a bottle thinking maybe he was growth spurting and he used up all the milk but this made no difference at all, exactly the same.

I'm feeding him approx every 3 to 3.5 hours during the day and he feeds well for 25/30 mins at a time. I don't know if I'm over feeding him and he has pains at the feeds where he is screaming?

Yesterday I fed him at c7,10.30,1.30, 5 (this is the feed he was screaning at) then 9 and during the night he was fine.

Today I followed same sort of times for feeds and he was SCREAMING at his 1.30 feed. I kept trying to feed him and he would have a few sucks then pull away scream some more, seem to be desperate for more, go back on the pull off screaming again. I winded him got a burp then still more screaming. Give him a rest for a couple of mins try again more screaming. Stop feeding for 15 mins still screaming all this time . He's been asleep for the last 20 mins and has woken up screaming again.

Does this sound like colic?? Only he does not do it at all feeds. Any help would be great.

grouchyoscar Fri 29-Jun-07 15:16:26

Sounds like DS and that was colic. I was amazed as all the HV's etc made out that BF babies don't get windy. DS didn't do it at every feed either.

Give him a good back rub and ensure he burps like mad.

witchandchips Fri 29-Jun-07 15:19:24

could it be reflux?

gegs73 Fri 29-Jun-07 15:27:15

Hi thanks for your replies. I'm not sure at all as DS1 never had any of this.

Would reflux be at all feeds or just some and would this start at 5 weeks or would it have been from birth if he had it? Pah to reflux and colic - stressful enough with a newborn and a toddler without this too grouchyoscar did you use anything like infacol wondering if I should get some of that. Did that work or just good winding?

witchandchips Fri 29-Jun-07 15:47:17

see this article by Dr Sears on reflux
click here
it may help

grouchyoscar Fri 29-Jun-07 16:01:41

No, just struggled and thought I was a crap mother (still do)

Amberjee Fri 29-Jun-07 16:11:20

gegs, in my experience 5-6 weeks is just a horrible time for a lot of babies no matter what you do. the only thing that really helps is time passing. you're doing great and i suppose just try and be creative with things to calm them down. am sure it will pass.

woodstock3 Fri 29-Jun-07 17:37:55

ny ds is nearly six weeks old and we've just had a couple of weeks of hell with exactly same type thing - commiserations! still groping in the dark a bit but screaming as if in pain pretty much always seems to be wind, whether its colic or not i dunno but especially when he feeds and then wakes up screaming wind appears to be the culprit.
we were told bf babies dont get it but ours clearly does - infacol really helps, i just give it at evening feeds where he is worst, at the feed before the trouble usually starts. we do a lot of winding, the position where you sit them up on your knee and rub their backs seems to be most effective, also being lain on his back and having his legs bicycled toward his stomach seems to help. good luck! if it's any consolation he is a lot better than he was two weeks ago and i think for a lot of babies it is a phase they grow out of as their digestion matures

gegs73 Fri 29-Jun-07 18:02:42

Thanks for all your messages everyone. grouchyoscar sure you are a great mum. woodstock3, thanks I will try the infacol. Good to hear it has got better over the last 2 weeks I just hope if it is a phase that he grows out of it quickly.

gegs73 Fri 29-Jun-07 19:44:04

Just tried the infacol for his last feed and he didn't scream and has gone down to sleep (though isn't asleep yet). Lets hope this can sort it out.

zebedee1 Mon 02-Jul-07 13:27:15

my ds behaved just like yours at 5/6 weeks. We used infacol, fed in positions where ds is fairly upright and winded him a few times during the feed. We also took him for cranial osteopathy. The osteopath said his head and neck were all tense and squashed rather like someone who had been hunched over their desk! DS had 2 treatments, he's now 7 weeks and a different baby! Feeds for 15-20 mins at a time with no screaming at all.

lilKelBel Mon 02-Jul-07 14:55:31

Oooh I'm so interested to see replies to OP as my DS has this same exact thing. We've given Infacol which helps bring up the burps -- MOST of the time. Sometimes she still can't get it out and screams like hell.

We've also been to the osteopath who helped get the wind out but 5 days later she's back to her old ways. Going for another visit tomorrow.

My DS had reflux and it's totally different. It happened with every feed. You could not lay him down flat right after a feed, ever. He would arch his back - sometimes so much that he rolled over at the age of 3 weeks . Reflux starts from birth cuz their esophogus isn't fully developed at birth. It does go away as they get older. We used Gaviscon for a few months for him...

GOOD LUCK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now