Talk

Advanced search

mastitis at 7 months, blocked duct and sudden drop in supply

(8 Posts)
OstrichRunning Sun 16-Dec-18 09:09:20

I'm hoping someone can help with this.

Just so as not to drip feed - On Thursday evening my left breast started feeling sore, and that night I got awful, teeth chattering shivers, then got very sick (sorry if tmi). Next morning, I didn't feel too bad - phoned gp and got appt for two hours later. In waiting room, started feeling very ropey, passed out in gp's room. They ended up having to call an ambulance blush. Did manage to give ds a last feed before appt and luckily dh was with me and could take ds home. was in hospital for about 7 hours. Did two short pumps (dh brought pump) in hospital. High temp. Bloods showed bad infection. They sent me home with a super high dose of antibotics.

Since then, all sick symptoms have completely disappeared but I realised yesterday that I have a blocked duct. Weirdly, this didn't seem to be there in hospital as lots of milk came out of affected boob when I pumped. But now it seems to have almost completely dried up and most of the surface is red. It's not as painful as it was I don't think. Supply seems a bit low in unaffected side too.

I'm trying everything I've found here/online - massage, combing, hot bath, feeding lots, expressing between feeds but it's still heavy, red with a big lump under nipple, far back.

Sorry that was so long. I'm really worried bf might dwindle away, and that infection might come back after amtibiotics. Bf dd for a year and a half and really hoping for same for ds. Any advice gratefully received sad

TIA

OP’s posts: |
OstrichRunning Sun 16-Dec-18 09:13:04

sorry, should have said reason I think supply is less now now is ds was fussy feeding off that side and his nappy before bed was not as wet as usual - i.e. quite dry. also pumping resulted in zilch though after bath some came through. Ds v wakeful and and crying during night though he ended up feeding a lot both sides when half asleep, just not sure how much he got ...

binkyblinky Sun 16-Dec-18 09:14:48

I have no advice but I hope you feel better soon xx

Almostthere15 Sun 16-Dec-18 09:17:31

I'm not sure how helpful I can be but just sending you lots of sympathy. The only thing you didn't mention is a warm compress. A hot fennel would do but lansinoh sell one you can microwave. You could put that on before pumping/feeding as it may help break down the lump. I Hope things get better

mintbiscuit Sun 16-Dec-18 09:24:35

I’ve had this (on more than few occasions and always same boob!)

Have you tried feeding DC in different positions on affected boob? I found that reversing the cradle hold by using a pillow and compressing breast when dc started feeding helped with blockage. V frequent feeding on that side too. Oh, and warm compress in between/just before feed.

You can google breast compression technique if not familiar with it.

MrsBartlettforthewin Sun 16-Dec-18 09:26:43

The best thing to do is keep feeding on that side so the block is worked out. Massage the lump towards the nipple whilst feeding will help and warm flannel also. The antibiotics might be messing with your supply but you should be okay if you keep going. As long as the baby isn't seeming hungry you will be fine - expressing isn't always an indicator of how your supply is doing.

Heratnumber7 Sun 16-Dec-18 09:32:29

Go back to GP pronto. Mine turned into an abscess which had to be excised under general anaesthetic.

OstrichRunning Sun 16-Dec-18 10:17:30

thanks, that's really helpful advice. They ruled out an abscess in the hospital but it has grown redder so goibg to call out of hours now. I never thought of antibiotics messing with supply, MrsBartlett, thanks. I'll try that reverse cradle hold, mintbiscuit. Fingers crossed something works!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in