Talk

Advanced search

Help getting newborn from bottle to breast

(8 Posts)
Paranormalbouquet Sat 15-Dec-18 12:25:44

Me again!

10 day old baby, barely latched since birth. Fed ebm for past week. I have plenty of milk.

Had thick posterior and anterior tongue tie cut yesterday and after 20 mins managed to latch on to left breast for a feed. Managed again last night and had one really good feed, but overnight and this morning have just had frantic attempts to latch and no luck. Lactation consultant says she’s still learning and it will just take time but I’m starting to lose my mind in the constant fuzz of attempting to feed, bottle feeding and expressing. I’ve barely seen my older child (who incidentally was very easy to feed).

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help a sleepy bottle preferring newborn to latch?

OP’s posts: |
Paranormalbouquet Sat 15-Dec-18 18:32:03

Bump

Megasaur5keeper Sun 16-Dec-18 08:34:46

I used nipple shields with mine - also sleepy and had trouble latching. They helped her learn to feed. I think it also gave her a more familiar feeling as we'd been bottle feeding her until lactation consultant gave me the shields. She spat them out eventually (baby did. Not LC). They did make it harder for her to get the milk out which might not be what you want.
From your other posts it sounds like you are doing all the other things that were suggested to me already! Hope you've had a few more good feeds since your OP and things get better for you- sounds like you are doing an amazing job.

Paranormalbouquet Sun 16-Dec-18 08:59:29

Got her on with shields this morning. How do you get them to stay on properly?!

Megasaur5keeper Sun 16-Dec-18 10:11:53

I had medela ones which I pulled out (sort of stretch the ends apart) the place over nipple and let go. Don't know about other brands but most silicone ones seemed ti look about the same so i suspect the same thing would apply!
Seemed to help if they were a bit wet for suction purposes. It's a massive faff at first tbh and you need about 3 hands to do that and hold the baby and then get her latched on. Good she's had a feed !

Paranormalbouquet Sun 16-Dec-18 12:51:37

Just one feed, wouldn’t latch again later.

Paranormalbouquet Tue 18-Dec-18 13:27:34

Just to update-baby started latching well with shields on Sunday evening and has now dropped all top ups. Gaining weight, nappies appropriate and feeding assessed by LC today who is happy she’s feeding effectively.

I’m delighted and we now have a plan to reduce expressing and to wean off shields probably in the new year.

Megasaur5keeper Tue 18-Dec-18 15:01:51

Yay! Super news.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in