Talk

Advanced search

'If you bd while pg you will not produce colostrum after the birth'. This is definitely wrong, isn't it?

(27 Posts)
berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:04:50

Said to me by doctor at the hospital where I will be giving birth. She wanted to convince me to wean ds before the birth. I'm 28+1 and he's showing no signs of self-weaning, in fact just the opposite, and I don't intend to wean him. But according to this doctor dc2 will not get milk appropriate to his stage, but rather the 'mature' milk ds has been getting, because I will not produce any colostrum.

Bolleaux, surely?

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:05:13

Aaaaaargh. Bf, not bd!!!!

ProjectIcarus Sat 23-Jun-07 21:07:53

total bolleaux. my milk did come in quicker though. day 2 i think.

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:09:40

Just what I thought, thanks

She said she'd looked it up. I wonder where...

DaisyMOO Sat 23-Jun-07 21:10:36

Complete rubbish. The mature milk usually changes make to colostrum sometime during the pregnancy. I agree with projecticarus - mine was in within about 24 hours but seeing as he was feeding for most of that time I don't think he missed out!

Curmudgeonlett Sat 23-Jun-07 21:11:03

but, how can you produce colostrum when you're already producing milk?

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:12:53

I don't know the science, but I suppose the hormonal messages for 'produce colostrum' are stronger than those for 'go on producing mature milk'? 'S what I thought, anyway.

Curmudgeonlett Sat 23-Jun-07 21:15:16

well common sense (not knowledge) would tell me that if you're already breastfeeding you already have breastmilk and that is what your new baby will get too

but is that really an issue?

Curmudgeonlett Sat 23-Jun-07 21:17:48

this message board talks about your body producing colostrum from 6 months (I thought earlier) so your older baby will be getting that rather than the younger baby getting nothing

interesting .. can't find any actual information .. just points of view

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:18:02

not for me, really. well, yes, I suppose. Of course I want dc2 to have colostrum, and I was vety surprised at what she'd said as I'd never heard it before. It was more the way she approached it. when I said I hadn't been planning to wean she actually said, in v patronising tone, 'you're an adult, you'll decide what's for the best...'

MuminBrum Sat 23-Jun-07 21:18:03

I thought this was why babies with pregnant mothers often self-wean sometime during their mother's pregnancies, because the milk becomes more like colostrum, and they don't like the unfamiliar taste?

FioFio Sat 23-Jun-07 21:18:19

Message withdrawn

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:18:46

Sorry, x posts. thanks for link.

Curmudgeonlett Sat 23-Jun-07 21:20:15

here

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:20:19

Fio! Very mixed, in fact. Work yukky/stressful, not managing all I should be in life generally, asthma flaring up, but placenta officially out of the way - 3cm from cervix, to be precise Such a relief. How are you?

mummytosteven Sat 23-Jun-07 21:21:39

http://www.kellymom.com/nursingtwo/faq/16milkchanges.html#colostrum

kellymom page on this very topic

FioFio Sat 23-Jun-07 21:22:16

Message withdrawn

FioFio Sat 23-Jun-07 21:22:50

Message withdrawn

Mrscarrot Sat 23-Jun-07 21:23:47

Like Muminbrum, I've heard lots of people say that their older child weaned during pregancy due to the milk changing, in fact 'spat me out' was a phrase I remember one saying

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:23:51

no more episodes - three or four panic attacks though , always in v public places, convinced my waters were going (physical sensation and everything). Think it's All Been A Bit Much.

DaisyMOO Sat 23-Jun-07 21:23:57

Very intersting about colostrum being a laxative - my dd often had runny poo when i was pregnant and I wondered at the time if it was because I was pregnant!

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:24:53

MrsC, I thought he was actually gearing up to self-wean at one point, had virtually stopped asking - but now he wants a feed 3 or 4 times a day (he's 2.1)

FioFio Sat 23-Jun-07 21:24:56

Message withdrawn

berolina Sat 23-Jun-07 21:26:04

Oh, it is. Such a relief on so many levels. i really feel like the home straight is in sight now. Bet you do too

Mrscarrot Sat 23-Jun-07 21:33:18

My anxiety levels rocketed during my last pregnancy, and although my herbalist said I could have some things I preferred not to.

CBT really helped me with the 'catastrophising' part of the attacks, having a lot of words with myself and good food got me through it although I guess I wasn't a bad case.

I haven't fed longer than a year so no advice on weaning toddlers I'm afraid. Be kind to yourself though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now