Talk

Advanced search

6 weeks and not back at birthweight

(4 Posts)
TheBrilloPad Sat 03-Nov-18 08:33:58

Baby born 6 weeks ago, lost 8.7% of birth weight and still hasn't regained it all - is about 100g off. I was exclusively breastfeeding until week 4, then started to introduce a bottle of formula at night, and weight gain has remained slow/static. Have been having weekly weigh-ins at the midwife clinic and there hasn't been more than a 60g gain in a week yet.

I paid to see a lactation consultant who said no tongue tie, latch was fine, and I just had a sleepy baby, and to do breast compressions and switch nursing.

The midwife team have referred baby to paediatrics and discharged us to the HV service, but HV isn't coming over for another week and paediatrics appt isn't until baby is 12 weeks. I just feel a bit abandoned. Baby is happy, content, smiling and plenty of wet and dirty nappies. Not a screamer or in any visible pain. I breastfed my older two kids with no problems at all, they did both fall down two centiles but then tracked the bottom of the chart fine, but this baby's growth is even slower/ much much lower than the other two.

Should I be worrying, or pushing for any mor intervention? Or is waiting for the paediatricians appt in 6 weeks acceptable? I don't feel like baby has any health issues, but I don't understand why there isn't visible weight gain.

OP’s posts: |
swampytiggaa Sat 03-Nov-18 08:38:49

I had this with my youngest. At 12 weeks she still weighed less than at birth so we spent a week in hospital whilst she was tested for everything you could imagine.

Long story short it was ‘one of those things’ apparently 😔 and was helped slightly by prescription formula then by weaning tbh.

She is now 10. Not interested in food and is a skinny beanpole like her daddy.

Good luck x I remember the misery of that time so well 💕

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 09-Nov-18 18:09:19

@TheBrilloPad so sorry to hear that you feel abandoned. Is there a La Leche League near to you? The LLL leader should be able to help.

Have you read How might I improve my baby’s weight gain? On Kellymom?

BumbleBerries Tue 13-Nov-18 22:26:01

I second it being 'just one of those things' sometimes. If baby is healthy and hcps don't seem concerned then I wouldn't worry, just keep going for checks and keep an eye out for other symptoms.

If there's no underlying condition all they can recommend is formula and/or early weaning. And it's up to you if you want to take them up on those suggestions.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in