Talk

Advanced search

Cut out bottles - not drinking much?

(5 Posts)
bubbles092 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:39:11

So my son has turned 2 so I've decided to completely get rid of the bottles during the day (cold turkey.. should've done it ages ago!) and only give him it at night with milk when he goes bed. He is doing well at the moment! He can drink out of cups, straws and sippy. He has probably half a cup of milk just before he has a nap as he would have it with his lunch. I've noticed however that he doesn't drink as much fluids now. He will pick it up and drink it when he wants though! I've also noticed he is eating a lot more which is fab cos I am guessing having bottles during the day was filling him up! My DH used to just give him bottles with juice in so he didn't eat as much food but he doesn't do it now. He worries that he is thirsty that's why he whinges... I said if he was thirsty he would ask for it! Is it okay that he isn't drinking as much? With bottles, he would drink water after water and not eat much food! Now, he is eating properly and lots of food.  thank you.

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-18 19:23:50

Is he seeing enough? Is his poo normal? If these are ok, he’s getting enough fluids.

Remind your DH too that they get plenty of fluids from food. If he’s having cereal with milk, that’s fluid, jelly, soup, melon, brocolli, cauliflower, cucumber, strawberries and blueberries are all high in water smile

FlibbertyGiblets Thu 18-Oct-18 19:30:01

Do you clean his teeth after the bedtime bottle? And what the lovely Julie said. She's always bang on with infant feeding stuff

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-18 19:46:02

Thank you Flibberty blush

bubbles meant is he peeing enough? Stupid iPad autocorrect has got me again! smile

bubbles092 Fri 19-Oct-18 07:36:10

@JiltedJohnsJulie thank you for your reply! Yes he does wee enough so that's a good sign! Like you said, he gets fluid from food and cereal as well so that also gives me peace of mind smile & @FlibbertyGiblets no he usually has his teeth brushed before he goes to bed! Perhaps I should just give him a cup of milk first, then brush teeth and then go bed? He is grumpy, refusing to drink out of the straw cup but I'm not giving in, as I know he is quite capable of doing it lol!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in