Talk

Advanced search

1 year old feeding

(8 Posts)
ivfnewbe Wed 17-Oct-18 08:18:42

I’ve just started giving my LO milk in beaker rather than bottle for morning milk

He’s drinking less now (3 ounces from it) so not lasting his usual 1.5 hours till brekkie time. Should I just give milk alongside his cereal (usually has 3 ounces of milk in it) or still do milk first then brekkie an hour later?

Wondering what other people routines were in am?

Also snack ideas? He’s not the hugest eater so giving him a few berries or oranges for a snack isn’t going to fill him and he’s got a weird habit of eating finger food and then spitting it out and exminaing it so not loads goes in! I tried soft pear yesterday and not much was consumed..... Apart from yoghurt and fruit/ toast/ cheese / bannnaa pancakes I’ve run out of snack ideas...

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Wed 17-Oct-18 10:01:24

Yes I'd give the beaker of milk with the cereal. Your snack ideas sound fine.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-18 07:45:28

At this age it’s fine to offer milk with or after food, either way is fine so I’d just give him a beaker with his cereal.

For snacks, both of mine liked these Cheese Straws and they keep for ages in an airtight container.

You could spread smooth nut butter on slices of apple.

Mini Muffins are good as you can freeze them.

A Scottish Oatcake spread with cream cheese with cut up grapes.

Cubes of cheese with some cut up grapes.

Cheerios without the milk keep them occupied for a bit too.

ivfnewbe Thu 18-Oct-18 09:47:02

And it’s about 400mls of milk he still needs?

Can he have less if he has a yoghurt and cheese every day?or is it on top of?

Might do beaker first for now as don’t think he will have enough milk in day otherwise once he’s used to beaker might do it alongside

dementedpixie Thu 18-Oct-18 10:43:32

Is 300 mls from 1 year and that includes dairy products/ milk in cereal, etc. The 300 mls isn't on top of the other intake

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-18 18:55:12

Totally agree with demented all he needs is 300 ml a day of full fat cows milk and that includes milk used in cereal, Yorkshire puddings, pancakes, custard, rice pudding etc. It’s fine to give him 400 ml but not if it’s affecting his appetite for meals.

The Caroline Walker Trust has produced a guide which you might find helpful OP called Eating Well for 1 to 4 year olds. It has some snack and meal ideas too smile

ivfnewbe Thu 18-Oct-18 19:08:27

Ah ok well I can prob reduce it to 300 then as he def has 100 worth in milk and yoghurt a day I’d say . We having about 450 at the moment

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 18-Oct-18 19:18:24

Sounds like a good plan ivfnewbie smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in