Talk

Advanced search

do iron pills affect milk supply?

(8 Posts)
workstostaysane Sat 09-Jun-07 10:38:46

i've been prescribed some iron tablets as i have v. low iron levels and have been taking them for a couple of days. have since felt that 101/2mo dd is spending longer on the breast and often cries if i take her off as if she hasn;t had enough. she's never done this before. is this coincidence? perhaps i'm not producing as much milk because i'm run down rather than the pills doing it. just wondering if anyone else has experience of this.
thanks!

NotQuiteCockney Sat 09-Jun-07 19:48:48

I don't think iron pills would reduce your supply. Low iron will make you feel run down, though.

Your DD's behaviour is probably unrelated. She's 10.5 months old?

nannyjo Sun 10-Jun-07 12:11:51

low iron levels is what is probably effeceting your suply not the tablets. Perservere and when the tablets are working you should hopefully be back to normal

workstostaysane Thu 14-Jun-07 21:28:19

thanks guys - have been away for a couple of days. ithink it is that i'm tired that may be affecting supply.
dd is 11 months next week and loving her breast milk so will persevere!

Loopymumsy Fri 15-Jun-07 20:47:23

Message withdrawn

workstostaysane Thu 28-Jun-07 20:19:54

have not been on MN for a while loopy mum, dd who is a great poo-er has not been very regular for a while. do you think that might be why?
incidentally, supply is now fine - just got some kip in!

CaptainCaveman Thu 28-Jun-07 20:24:08

Anaemia definately affects your ability to produce milk so the iron tablets should work to correct that.

Loopymumsy Thu 28-Jun-07 20:31:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now