Talk

Advanced search

Stomach bug will my milk dry up help!

(6 Posts)
pinkbottle48 Fri 14-Sep-18 17:08:23

DD is 16 months so I know she doesn't necessary need my bf milk anymore but neither of us are ready to stop. Got a bad stomach bug or food poisoning last night. I am so dehydrated and can barely keep water down. Due to this my breasts just feel completely empty and DD is getting worked up when trying to feed. I will be gutted if this dries up my milk and ends our bf journey. Has this happened to anyone else? Did your milk come back? Any tips welcome!

OP’s posts: |
Hemlock2013 Fri 14-Sep-18 17:09:43

Yes I had a couple when breastfeeding. Just keep up your fluids and keep feeding and it will all be ok! Don’t panic x

Nsmum14 Fri 14-Sep-18 17:15:44

If you let your DD suckle, even if there is not much milk there, I'm sure you will be fine. Don't panic! Your milk won't dry up overnight, as soon as you start to feel better everything ought to go back to how it was before. At 16 months she is unlikely to be put off by a day or two of very low supply. This will pass, keep her close, feed her when she asks, and take care of yourself!

suckmasterburstingfoam Fri 14-Sep-18 17:21:51

I had this exact same problem. It was horrible! I was quite upset at first - after all we'd been through, I didn't want it to end like that. My milk didn't dry up entirely - I had enough to feed DC once a day. In the event, it solved the issue of endless night wakings because DC didn't bother waking up to get fed any more. I carried on feeding once a day for another couple of months until we were ready to stop. Having already dropped most of the feeds made stopping easy, when the time came.

pinkbottle48 Fri 14-Sep-18 17:28:37

Thanks everyone that's reassuring will just keep feeding her regardless of how much milk I have.

OP’s posts: |
Utini Fri 14-Sep-18 17:36:02

That happened to me at a similar age. My breasts looked and felt completely flat and empty, I was quite upset about the thought of sudden weaning. DD kept trying to feed and when I started eating and drinking again my milk supply went back to normal fairly quickly.

Now feeding a million times a night age 2, so this doesn't have to be the end.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in