Talk

Advanced search

Substitute milk for baby with CMPA

(11 Posts)
Kr3000 Sun 19-Aug-18 11:13:46

Hi all,
My 1 year old has CMPA, and is BF (please no-one mention pizza or mac cheese as I miss them so much!). He has dairy free milk on cereal etc, however I am a bit confused about milk as a drink. The advice for baby having cows milk after 12 months obviously is a no go for us, but should we be giving him drinks of other milk (for example Oat milk is the favourite)? Or is bm sufficient?

Many thanks

OP’s posts: |
DitchingTheDye Mon 20-Aug-18 16:18:05

Bm is all they need! Dairy is not a necessity. Do they drink much water?

Kr3000 Mon 20-Aug-18 16:42:58

Ah that's good news. He does drink water well, we keep one strategically placed for him to have as and when required, and always has some with his meals. Thank you for your help!

30hours Mon 20-Aug-18 16:44:18

BM is fine! I also BF my CMPA baby but we give her alpro growing up milk when I am not there.

DitchingTheDye Mon 20-Aug-18 16:45:30

Sounds like you are doing fab smile

UghFletcher Mon 20-Aug-18 16:53:00

Congratulations on BF for so long with a CMPA baby. I caved and went to formula as DS wasn't gaining enough weight and I desperately missed cheese.

We went to the paeds and were given a list of foods which have calcium so we could ensure he had those. We also give alpro growing up milk (once we had got through the soya ladder) and alpro yoghurts. Although he was having oatly as a drink before we got onto soya.

PinkAvocado Mon 20-Aug-18 16:55:17

Still bfing after a couple of years but alongside water etc now. Milk wise, I give any of the dairy free ones that are fortified except rice milks. DC prefers Koko or almond.

Kr3000 Mon 20-Aug-18 17:44:07

Ah thank you all so much for replying. I've to be honest found it easier to carry on with bf with the cmpa rather than risking it going wrong. I was tempted to try the alpro yoghurt, he likes the koko ones so will try to mix it up a bit. He definitely seems to prefer oat and coconut milk, which is good because I like those too!

arbrighton Tue 21-Aug-18 12:16:48

DH Cousin's 18 mo old is CMPA and likes coconut milk.

She was fed the formula after 3 mo as cousin is coeliac so eliminating dairy as well as all gluten was very tough for her

GiraffeObsessedBaby Tue 21-Aug-18 12:23:21

If you do want to try an alternate milk make sure it's fortified. Eg the oatly milk always use oatly barista as it's for all the fats and vitamins and calcium in it. The soya growing up milk is the same.

My sons dietician gave me a serious talking to about calcium levels lol so it's fresh in my mind!

Kr3000 Tue 21-Aug-18 13:25:25

Ah that's good to know, thank you. I can only imagine how hard it is if coeliac as well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in