Talk

Advanced search

Reassurance needed

(4 Posts)
TwinkleMerrick Sat 11-Aug-18 20:49:45

So my baby girl had to go on a feeding plan when she was tiny, she had jaundice and was very sleepy. I couldn't get her to latch and in the end had to express, bottle feed and then top up with formula.

3 months down the line I gave up breast feeding and just formula feed....which I was gutted about but just couldn't cope any more.

Anyway, after being in and out of hospital with her I'm now paranoid about her not getting enough. She was weighed on Wednesday, all fine putting weight on and 5Oth centipedes, Which is good because I was worried she wasn't eating enough but put it down to the heat.

But it's cooler now and she is still only having 4 feeds a day, the guidelines state 6 feeds a day. But she falls asleep on the bottle! In the morning she is often really hungry so I give her extra 7/8 ounces, then if she finishes a bottle easily I top her up. But she gets to the evening and falls asleep, then sleeps through the night and doesn't want feeding. I tried dream feeding but she puked it all up.

Am I being a paranoid first time mum? Is it ok she isn't getting the full 6 feeds? Anyone worse has similar experiences? Thanks xx

Thesearmsofmine Sat 11-Aug-18 20:52:19

Remember the guidelines are just that. Some babies will have more and some will have less. If she is gaining weight and health professionals are happy then I wouldn’t worry.

TwinkleMerrick Sat 11-Aug-18 20:57:40

Thanks, sometime I just need someone to reassure me......or tell me to shut up worrying confused

badg3r Sat 11-Aug-18 20:59:33

She is putting on weight fine, you are doing a great job. You can check if she has a sunken soft spot if you are worried about dehydration but honestly from what you say you have nothing to worry about.
Remember too that breastfeeding mothers have no idea how much volume their babies get so everything is measured by weight gain and in general how they look.
And being paranoid is totally normal! Sorry you have had a bit of a tough start. You did a great job feeding till three months and should be proud of that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: