Reflux/ cows milk allergy(4 Posts)
My ds is 12 weeks old (6 weeks prem)
He suffers very badly with reflux, trapped wind, tummy pain etc. He's constantly miserable.
He's on nutramigen and carobel to thicken it, and also ranitidine for the reflux.
My previous dd also had a cows milk intolerance.
He opens his bowels once a day but is hysterical for hours before and after he goes and it really hurts him to pass wind too.
I did not understand why he still has such tummy troubles after being on this milk for the past 8 weeks!
Gp has made a referral to a paediatrician now.
Anybody experienced anything similar? I'm at my wits end with it.
He should be put on a formula that is completely free from cow's milk, such as Alfamino or Neocate. Some babies are still sensitive to the hydrolysed formulas like Nutramigen. Can the GP not do a trial of this while you await the appointment? You would know after about 3 weeks if it was helping. Then the allergy clinic could help with, e.g. a PPI if he still has some residual symptoms. It seems a shame for the poor little mite to continue suffering while you wait for the hospital appointment.
I've been to the gp quite a few times with him over the weeks and feel like I'm getting nowhere.
They only agreed to the nutramigen because of my dd's history. But she was fine almost instantly on the nutramigen, my ds's symptoms have only slightly improved.
They keep saying he will grow out of it etc. And because he's putting on a lot of weight, they're not really concerned.
But he just cries and cries and cries in pain.
When his tummy is not hurting (rare) he's happy and smiley. So I know he's not just a crier.
It was only because they could see for themselves how distressed he was at the last appointment, that they made the hospital referral.
I will make another appointment and ask about the milk you mentioned, thank you.
This makes me very cross. Sadly, most GPs are very ill-informed about allergies and intolerances.
We had similar with my DD, who is still intolerant of dairy, gluten and loads of other stuff at 3. The allergy clinic at St Mary's Paddington, who we see, were very clear that you do NOT have to be losing weight for there to be an intolerance. If your DC has an intolerance to cmp, then feeding them it will be damaging their gut and creating inflammation throughout the body. Your GP is out of date.
Ask them what the harm to your DC would be of giving a milk-free formula a month's trial. Answer is there would be absolutely no harm whatsoever to your DC from trying it. There WOULD be harm from continuing with the Nutramigen, if DC are reacting to it. The truth is that the GP is probably prioritising the harm to their budget over the harm to your child. Totally unacceptable.
I really hope you get some help very soon. It's so tough for you both.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.