Talk

Advanced search

Struggling to stop breastfeeding at 8 weeks

(8 Posts)
rosieposiesxx Fri 10-Aug-18 22:37:48

Giving up breastfeeding for various reasons but I'm happy to do so. I have been dropping a few daytime feeds each day which is going well, Dd enjoys a bottle. However she wont take a dummy and uses me as a dummy for daytime and nighttime sleeping so I'm struggling to stop breastfeeding. Has anyone else experienced this? when she comfort sucks she falls asleep in minutes but wont do it with a dummy.

Also a few more questions about formula

How do you do night feeds? Flask in bedroom with powder, ready to use formula or pre make bottles?
How often do you sterilise the bottles? I've been doing it every 24 hours
How do you do feeds when you're out too? Ive been using ready made but it is a tad expensive to keep up with x

rosieposiesxx Sat 11-Aug-18 16:24:50

Anyone ??

bellinisurge Sat 11-Aug-18 16:30:32

Hi, I used a flask and powder. But that was about 10 years ago - I don't know current advice. I'd be tempted to have ready made for nighttime.

Bobbiepin Sat 11-Aug-18 16:33:16

Perfect prep will be your lifesaver for nighties feeds. Maybe try different dummies, some babies are fussy with them and prefer one type over others. I wash and sterilize bottles after every feed, depending on the type they will stay sterile in the sterilizer for 24 or 48 hours.

rosieposiesxx Sat 11-Aug-18 17:21:15

Would I be able to make feeds in advance this way -

Boil kettle
Add water to bottles and wait 30 mins
Then add powder and shake
Cool in cold water
Put in the back of the fridge
Warm up under hot tap when needed

Im just so confused! I feel like im making it more difficult than it needs to be sad

leighdinglady Sat 11-Aug-18 18:23:45

Top tip for quick bottle making -

Each morning boil a kettle of water and pour in to a jug. You then have cooled boiled water

When you need a bottle put your powder in, add boiling water (a quarter of the ml you are making) shake. Then top up with the cool water. You have a ready to use bottle without the cooling down nonsense. This is exactly how the perfect prep works without the cost.

Going out - make boiling hot bottles and place in to those padded cosy things. They'll cool down slowly and still be warm for ages.

Night times - either make like the going out ones, or buy pre made.

I really don't buy in to the 'bottles only last 2 hours' crap. The advice has changed in just a few years. No one I know complied with this and all their kids are fine. Seems like a money maker to me!

LoughingLikeAShark Sat 11-Aug-18 18:32:44

Ooh, watching with interest - DS is 12 months old and I'm trying to stop bf so we can start IVF for a sibling but it's REALLY hard. He won't take a dummy and absolutely loves the breast - he'll only take a bottle if he knows for sure I'm out of the house. I can't get him to sleep without bf sad

BrokenLink Sat 11-Aug-18 18:33:33

Water MUST go in the bottle before the powder, or the feed will be too concentrated. It is ok to put your boiled water in a clean thermos. Each bottle must be made fresh for food hygiene reasons. Babies really can get sick when feeds are not made up exactly as stated on the tub.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: